Help on coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on coils

Should i waste my money on the Accel coils for my 3.8 camaro or should i just get the same kind that came in it?
    1996 Camaro -- SLP CAI, Motorvator TB spacer, MSD 8.5 mm wires, 180 thermostat, Pacesetter headers, Catco 3 in cat, TSP Rumbler, custom painted interior, 18x9.5 Z06 replica wheels, Nexen N3000 265/35r18 tires, - Best 1/4 mile 15.3@89mph

what are your plans for other upgrades?
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

go with MSD, but only if you plan on upgrading the wires too
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

My other mods ar gonna be new exhaust with headers, 3.42 gears with lsd, and eventually a cam. I have intake and exhaust now. I am planning on getting the Taylor wires and either NGK or ACdelco rapidfire plugs. I didnt know MSD made coils. I have heard that its not worth it to get the whole msd ignition system. What do you guys think about coils, wires, and plugs and also about the ignition? Thanks.
        1996 Camaro -- SLP CAI, Motorvator TB spacer, MSD 8.5 mm wires, 180 thermostat, Pacesetter headers, Catco 3 in cat, TSP Rumbler, custom painted interior, 18x9.5 Z06 replica wheels, Nexen N3000 265/35r18 tires, - Best 1/4 mile 15.3@89mph

Comment

the MSD DIS-4 is a great add on and a MUST for FI. you will see MPG and thats about it. is it worth $329, depends how you look at it. yeah MSD make coils and wires for our cars i would go with MSD, you have to use MSD if you use the DIS, the accels dont like the DIS-4

MDS
          MSD-32799 Spark Plug Wire Set, Red, 8.5mm Super Conductor, 6 Cylinder Custom Fit
          $54.69

MSD-8224 For use on GM vehicles with 2-tower coil packs, 40,000 V, Blaster replacement coil...
          $39.88 x3 = $119.64

if you get the DIS-4 you need these too
          MSD-8870 GM with coil packs, coil interface module...
          $26.95 x3 = $80.85

MSD-6215 DIGITAL DIS 4 IGNITION...
          $329.95

hopes this helps
          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

thanks for the help viper. I think i am just going to get the Taylor wires and i need to decide on a plug. I just dont want to spend that much money on ignition. Whats the best plug, ngk or acdelco rapidfire?

Comment

The MSD coils are MUCH better than the Accel coils. I have been through PLENTY of the Accel coils and they keep blowing on me. The MSD coils are holding strong and aren't too much more money.

As far as wires, the MSDs are also better than the Taylors. The Taylors are definitely good wires, but the MSDs are better. If you are on a tight budget and have to find savings one way or another, save on the Taylors and get the MSD coils.

As far as plugs, the Rapidfires are very good plugs. I do not have first hand knowledge with the NGK plugs in my 3.4L V6 engine, but I hear that they are good.
              - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

accell coils blow? i just bought a set of used from morrison on the board, and am woried that they too will blow, also when and how do you realize the coil is blown? is there any distinct symptoms like misfire or horrible idle?

Comment

By blow, I mean that they basically stop firing the plugs. This will keep the car from starting, let alone running.
                  - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Will:
                    thanks for the help viper. I think i am just going to get the Taylor wires and i need to decide on a plug. I just dont want to spend that much money on ignition. Whats the best plug, ngk or acdelco rapidfire?
                    NGK TR55's gapped 60 are great in the 3.8 for N/A usage if you are planning on a power adder use TR6's gapped 35.
                    2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Originally posted by viper98885:
                      The MSD coils are MUCH better than the Accel coils. I have been through PLENTY of the Accel coils and they keep blowing on me. The MSD coils are holding strong and aren't too much more money.

As far as wires, the MSDs are also better than the Taylors. The Taylors are definitely good wires, but the MSDs are better. If you are on a tight budget and have to find savings one way or another, save on the Taylors and get the MSD coils.

As far as plugs, the Rapidfires are very good plugs. I do not have first hand knowledge with the NGK plugs in my 3.4L V6 engine, but I hear that they are good.
                      next time you see me on AIM IM me
                      www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

whitethunder......
                        On my 3.8, you have 3 coil packs. If one goes bad, you're SES light will come on & you'll develop a definite "skip" in the engine (as if one cylinder's missing).

This isn't always consistent. If you stop, say at a redlight, it may smooth out, only to start running rough again when your RPMs get back up.

Go to Auto Zone & have them check the SES code for you.

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                          the MSD DIS-4 is a great add on and a MUST for FI. you will see MPG and thats about it. is it worth $329, depends how you look at it. yeah MSD make coils and wires for our cars i would go with MSD, you have to use MSD if you use the DIS, the accels dont like the DIS-4

MDS
                          MSD-32799 Spark Plug Wire Set, Red, 8.5mm Super Conductor, 6 Cylinder Custom Fit
                          $54.69

MSD-8224 For use on GM vehicles with 2-tower coil packs, 40,000 V, Blaster replacement coil...
                          $39.88 x3 = $119.64

$26.95 x3 = $80.85

$329.95

hopes this helps
                          Where did you get MSD Coils for 39.88 the cheapest I've been able to find them is 46.95.
                          2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Originally posted by Timbo1969:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by viper04af:

MDS
                            $54.69

$39.88 x3 = $119.64

$26.95 x3 = $80.85

$329.95

hopes this helps
                            Where did you get MSD Coils for 39.88 the cheapest I've been able to find them is 46.95. </font>[/QUOTE]summit racing
                            www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Cool I'll check out my Summit Catalog tonight.. Thanks.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X