Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Engine blown?

1997 3.8 Camaro 5 speed 159,000 miles

My car had been running fine lately until today. I was driving down a road near my house around 40mph when my engine just lost power. I heard a LOUD ticking/banging noise coming from what sounds like the bottom of the engine/transmission area. There is a HUGE amount of smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes and I had to pull over and turn it off immediately. I even saw smoke coming from underneath my hood. It smells like oil and it sounds horrible. Its so strange because it just popped out of nowhere. I know its probably major damage but I'm wondering if its happened to anyone and what I might expect to pay/replace and all that.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Help! Engine blown?

i had something similar minus the smoke and it was lifters that had collapsed. very likely issue in your case as well.
    sigpic

Comment

Really? Lifters? I've heard some lifter ticks out of it before. I just changed my oil 3 days ago. I change it every 2800 miles. It was running great today and then this. If I start it, it barely runs, makes horrible banging noises, puts out a HUGE amount of white smoke out the tail pipes and around the top of the engine. I cant even drive it a block to my driveway. No coolant in the oil. Intake gaskets changed 10,000 miles ago.
      Last edited by Chris2088; 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

if its as bad as you say youre probably looking at either a rebuild or new motor depending on what kind of damage has been done. it really all depends on what went bad in there.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

Oh God. Rebuild engines are like $1700 on ebay just for a rebuilt 3.8. How much is an average engine swap run in labor?

Comment

no idea on that.

you could go to local junk yards and check around, probably get them alot cheaper.

or google ed morad, he sells 3800s at a pretty decent price if i remember right.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
            http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
            Or this

Comment

Check out LKQOnline on eBay. I got a complete Series III motor with 38k for $500 shipped. Sounds like you popped a head gasket, and dumped your coolant in your oil and whatnot. That'd explain the smoke, smell, and lack of power ?(no compression). Hey, if you caught it early, you may be able to just swap the HGs and get away with a running motor. However, you may have roasted your bearings, and you'd be wasting money.

Since it's making a noise, I'd say your bearings are done for. Are you capable of doing any repair work yourself? A stock engine swap can be done in a few days with some patience. Working in a auto shop before, I would estimate around $1500 in labor and a few misc expenses if you provided an engine.

Comment

There doesnt seem to be any coolant in the oil. There is a bad oil smell. Id imagine my bearings are just done for and I'm screwed. I cant believe it just happened without warning.

Comment

a bad lifter isnt going to cause that problem.. all it is going to do is cause the engine to run rough and you will get a loud ticking noise

what color is the smoke? black, blue or white?

also what kind of gas were you running? did you get a service engine soon light or anything?

if it were my guess i would say your piston got a hole in it or a rod snapped

Comment

No check engine light even if I turn it on for a second. Just running regular gas, had been on the highway driving fine 20 minutes before it happened. The smoke is white and smells like oil.

Comment

ok, scratch what i said.. probably an intake gasket blew

Comment

I just changed both upper and lower like 2 or 3 months ago.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X