Need some technical assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some technical assistance

My car is a 97 Camaro 3.8 5-spd. For the past few weeks I have been experiencing an issue with power at high rpm's. In 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear, when the rpm's climb higher than 4200, my engine starts to lose power or bogg down. If I put the car in neutral and WOT, it redlines with no issues.

I am thinking this could either be a fuel filter issue, or an issue with the catalytic converter being bad.

Any thoughts?

Re: Need some technical assistance

Moved this here for more exposure.

Are there any SES lights or engine codes showing up? This sounds like it could be the Cat, but can also be lots of other things.

When in neutral there is no load so it is related to engine load being fuel or air. Get the codes scanned if there are any, check the fuel pressure, check the cat.....

Comment

I'd start with a basic tuneup if you haven't already done so. Fuel filter and plugs/wires. They are possible causes of your symptoms, and also general maintenance that should be done regularly anyway.

After the car has been running a while, and you've been above 4200rpms a couple times, get out of the car and look at the cat. If it's glowing hot, then it's probably toast.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I have the same exact car. Do you notice it more in 3rd and 4th gears?

Comment

when was it last tuned up?
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nachius View Post
            Moved this here for more exposure.

Are there any SES lights or engine codes showing up? This sounds like it could be the Cat, but can also be lots of other things.

When in neutral there is no load so it is related to engine load being fuel or air. Get the codes scanned if there are any, check the fuel pressure, check the cat.....
            The SES started blinking last week, but after 2 days of driving, it went away. When troubleshooting yesterday (running to 4500 rpm's in all gears), it started blinking again. Scanned codes were 0300 and 0420. So one of the cylinders is misfiring.

If it has been happening for a while, the misfire could have caused the cat to go bad due to excessive fuel being dumped into it. So now it is a matter of finding out what is causing the misfire. I have a few ideas on how to troubleshoot.

Originally posted by Chris2088
            I have the same exact car. Do you notice it more in 3rd and 4th gears?
            It happens in 1st through 4th. Haven't tried 5th, but I am not too concerned with it.

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
            I'd start with a basic tuneup...
            Yea, I really need to do this, but I just haven't had the money to invest in it. Apparently I have no reason not to now.

Comment

Ok...So I got it diagnosed at Napa, and it turns out that my cat is done for, my plugs need to be replaced, wires are ok (but going to replace them anyways) and the coil packs are corroded and rusted.
              They told me the coil packs are corroded because they are so close to the air induction near the windshield. Mechanic told me that he sees it a lot on the 3.8 design.

So, time to get my a$$ to work and get it all replaced. Thanks to all of you who offered me assistance.

Comment

Just finished replacing the coil packs, wires and plugs. Total of $142 and about 3.5 hours worth of work. SES is now off, but I have only run through 1 drive cycle. Going to drive it later tonight for a few miles to see if anything goes off.

I can still tell that the cat is out, because you can hear it rattle when under WOT. Time to save up for that crap...got a quote for $250 installed.

Thanks again all.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDestruction View Post
                  Just finished replacing the coil packs, wires and plugs. Total of $142 and about 3.5 hours worth of work. SES is now off, but I have only run through 1 drive cycle. Going to drive it later tonight for a few miles to see if anything goes off.

I can still tell that the cat is out, because you can hear it rattle when under WOT. Time to save up for that crap...got a quote for $250 installed.

Thanks again all.
                  $250 bucks for a new cat and welded in? are you going to the dealer or something?

try here if your trying to save some money:
                  http://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust_Cataly...10251/10002/-1

its a hi-flow so it should help you out in performance and being smog legal.
                  and getting it cut/measured/welded in should be like 20-25 bucks tops at a regular muffler shop I suppose.

gl with your car!
                  Last edited by truekoa; 07-19-2009, 11:56 PM.
                  1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                  1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                  1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                  2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                    $250 bucks for a new cat and welded in? are you going to the dealer or something?

try here if your trying to save some money:
                    http://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust_Cataly...10251/10002/-1

its a hi-flow so it should help you out in performance and being smog legal.
                    and getting it cut/measured/welded in should be like 20-25 bucks tops at a regular muffler shop I suppose.

gl with your car!
                    3 things.

1. He wants his check engine light off, with a hi-flow cat his SES light will come back on.
                    2. $250 is not bad, considering the muffler shop would have to cut the old out, and re-weld the new one in, with the converter. I'd say $250 is pretty fair.
                    3. I can tell you havent EVER priced a cat. converter at a dealer, because it would be nowhere even close to $250.
                    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

oh sry I read that he already got his SES light/ tune up problem fixed. Thats why I asked if its just the cat hes replacing. Sometimes you dont get a SES light with a hi flow cat thats all.

and yeah i agree with you on that 3rd one lol, i just thought 250 was real overpriced.

Just wanted to help him out.
                      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                      1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                      2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

cut the cat and fix the o2 sensor or however the 3.8 guys do it. That's what I would do. But I have the ol' 3.4 (and the cat is cut out).

Comment

i have been running catless since 07 and my ses light is only on occasionally.
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X