Clunk/pop in rear of car?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk/pop in rear of car?!

I now hear a clunk or pop (almost like a hollow tapping) noise coming from the rear of the car while moving, just has to be moving...

Its not very loud but enough you can hear it every so often over the rear end roar. Am I going to have to replace the rear? Shocks? IDK what to do...

It also slams even if I hit a small hole or bump in the road... Shocks or springs? Related to other issues like the roar, pop or ping?

98' Camaro M5

Damn, posted in wrong area. My bad :o
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: Clunk/pop in rear of car?!

Might be shocks or a TQ arm mount for the pop, check your LCA bolts, TQ ARM bolts, panhardrod bolts to make sure their tight. Push on the rear and see if it pops while parked. Wrong section.LOL HA HA J/K
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

LOL yeah oops

What do you think about the roar? And slamming?
      sigpic

Comment

Well roar , check the pinon nut on the rear to see if it has backed out, if it has you can try and TQ it down again and see how it sounds, mine backed out and I had to get mine redone, but it lasted over a year before it was redone. When was the last gear oil change? Their TTY , so just find what the TQ spec is on it and check it I can't remember, but mine was finger tight I remember (not good)LOL. Slamming noise loose bolts or bad springs or shocks. Just push down on both sides on the rear and see what it does. See how easy it is to push on it and look at the front and see how much it moves.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Damn I wish I knew more about this stuff. I have no idea wth these parts are LOL
          sigpic

Comment

Diagnosing Driveline Problems

Diagnosing Noise

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts

In bold is me I think
            sigpic

Comment

What rear do you have , gears? Posi?

Comment

M5 so Im pretty sure its the 323 and LSD
                sigpic

Comment

It should be a open diff. if it is stock, thats what mine came with stock.

Comment

RPO and black marks say otherwise :D

Shes a Y87 so comes G80 :D

Also has GU5 code 3.23
                    Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 07-05-2009, 05:24 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                      RPO and black marks say otherwise :D

Shes a Y87 so comes G80 :D

Also has GU5 code 3.23
                      Nice, I learned something new, I thought autos only had Y87. So it is a torsen or auburn diff.?

Comment

According to the tech database its Auburn...
                        sigpic

Comment

could be worth the look to check your ujoints also. also might want to check the bumpstops as well.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                            could be worth the look to check your ujoints also. also might want to check the bumpstops as well.
                            Thats true while your checking the pinion nut and see if it is TQ down correctly. Also change the gear oil if it has been along time, use some good stuff Royal Purple, I see alot of the GM mechanics using the stuff on their cars and when the guy did my rear , he used Royal purple, he was a cool guy. Said thats all he uses in his vehicle so he picked me up some, before the install. I have #'s of different GM mechanics for different work they specialize in, rear end, tranny, and engine rebuilds. Saves alot of money they charge me like $20 an hour if I have to take it to them plus a nice tip. If your diff. is done for then you could look for a 3.42 posi rear end and just swap the whole thing plus getting lower gear setup. I would price out in your area how much a rebuild would be and how much a used Posi rear is. Hope it's something simple for ya, good luck
                            Last edited by ssms5411; 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Bake fluid all over the driver side rear caliper...

I wonder if that could be the cause of all the noise.

Yeah, I was thinking of just getting a whole rear, but Ill check out the caliper first.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X