87 3.8 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 3.8 turbo

will this engine bolt up to my 5 speed tranny? just curious, because i have an opportunity to buy the whole car for under $400, the engine runs, but the tranny is shot. the body is okay, a little rust, but decent. the interior is in good shape also. i was going to buy the car, take out the engine, rebuild it completely, and see about putting it in my camaro, then sell the 3.8 i have now on ebay to make back some money. what do you think? any suggestions? i think that would be the ultimate mod...
    1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

NOPE... You will likely kill you 5spd also, unless you upgrade your 5spd to tremec TKO 5 spd.

Comment

It won't work. Give it to me instead. ;)

See: http://gmhightechperformance.com/arc..._feature02.jsp

That Bird has a TH-700-R4.
      <a href=\"http://geocities.com/ex1zee28\" target=\"_blank\">http://geocities.com/ex1zee28</a>

Comment

alrite, alrite... looks hard, but... how about this, could i just strip the turbo from the engine and do a custom turbo on my existing engine? would i have to do any internals? maybe this should be in the forced induction section, huh... i'm not sure what kind of turbo it is... but i'd definately be interested in going for yet another turbo 4th gen. f-body. any suggestions, please let me know...
        1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RED RUM:
          alrite, alrite... looks hard, but... how about this, could i just strip the turbo from the engine and do a custom turbo on my existing engine? would i have to do any internals? maybe this should be in the forced induction section, huh... i'm not sure what kind of turbo it is... but i'd definately be interested in going for yet another turbo 4th gen. f-body. any suggestions, please let me know...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you need to strengthen your L36 internals maybe make it to L67 to withstand the boost. And you still need to change your T~5 for a stronger one (TKO tremec 5spd)or just do a rebuild of your old one.
          [edit:]you can also do a T56 swap. :D 3.8ltr turbo w/ T56 tranny sounds cool.

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: 2kblufbody ]

Comment

Don't even bother wasting the time to fab something up for the L36 if the GN 3.8 is in working order. It'll cost aleast as much and will not be nearly as fast.
            -96 Birdie<br />-2x 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z<br />-97 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel

Comment

if the 3.8 turbo engine is running now, could i just drop it in my camaro? what would the power comparison be, if the buick is running 'decent'?
              1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

alrite, the 3800 II with a turbo will need a T56...

the buick 3.8 turbo will NOT bolt up to my T-5, but will it bolt up to a T56?

if i put the turbo on my 3800 II, would i need to do internal work?

wouldn't it be easier to drive my car how it is now, and rebuild the buick 3.8 to racing specs, and get a tranny?
                1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RED RUM:
                  alrite, the 3800 II with a turbo will need a T56...

the buick 3.8 turbo will NOT bolt up to my T-5, but will it bolt up to a T56?
                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Well, I don't see why not?? I've seen 150 shot of N2O 4.3ltr V6 mated to a T56 tranny.
                  <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
                  if i put the turbo on my 3800 II, would i need to do internal work?
                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Yes!
                  <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
                  wouldn't it be easier to drive my car how it is now, and rebuild the buick 3.8 to racing specs, and get a tranny?
                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  you can do that too.

Comment

i have a 3.4l 94 maro. i want to know has anyone done this turbo 3.8l conversion on mine how much would it cost approx. and what would i need to do it on mine. i was thinking of either putting a custom fabricated turbo on my car or buying a lt1 engine or buick turbo. for a 3.4 what do you guys think works best. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                    I pledge aliegence to the flag that sits on the front facia of my camaro and to the Mickey Thompsons that make it stand two tires under torque indivisable

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X