Engine dying at random, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine dying at random, any ideas?

I've been having some engine trouble. It just sputters and dies at random times while driving down the road. But every time it has happened, the engine was at "peak" temperature (not running hot, usually anywhere from 180 to 195). Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Re: Engine dying at random, any ideas?

Could be bad head gasket? Are you getting any white smoke?

Comment

coil or some other ignition component

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by insaneABOT View Post
        Could be bad head gasket? Are you getting any white smoke?
        +1 head or intake gasket...only because of the fact it happens at peak temp...other than that I would agree with blizzard...coil or ignition component...

Comment

how is the idle?

Comment

The idle is pretty good, not shaky or anything. The coils, plugs, and wires were replaced not too long ago. Haven't noticed any white smoke. It died once last week and when I put the scanner on it, it gave the codes that both banks were running lean. Could it be the fuel pump on its way out? The car just hit 253,000 miles bout a week ago....
            Last edited by memphis_raines; 06-19-2009, 08:17 PM.
            2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

I say bad headgaskets or lower intake manifold gaskets.

Comment

What he said.

Especially if all the other sensors according to your scan tool check out good.

Comment

Have you noticed any mysteriously disappearing coolant? Then it would be a headgasket or intake gasket. Otherwise, I'd check the fuel pressure while driving around. Then you can see if the pump is the culprit. The lean-running code probably allows you to eliminate ignition problems, so I would check fuel pressure first. Peak temp may just be a coincidence in that the pump is OK for a while, but after 10 mins of running or so, starts having problems. Of course by the tme 10 mins has elapsed, your engine is at operating temp. However, if the pressure checks out, I would next check the ignition module, because it could be having heat-related problems. You can pull it and have it checked at Advance Auto, and probably other parts stores can test it too. If it were one coil it would just run crappy, but probably would not totally die on you.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Yeah, so what's the story on your coolant levels?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

my vote is for the fuel pump

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

The coolant level was a little low. With as many miles as the engine has on it, it could be either. I'll probably start with testing the fuel pressure first. If I can rule that out, then it's probably a gasket somewhere...

Comment

Well, meaty had it pegged.....the car made it fine to work and back today, but on the way home it started to make a loud whining noise from around the back wheels. I cut it off and turned the switch on, and the fuel pump began to duplicate the whining noise.

Comment

at least that isnt too hard to replace, well if you do the trap door method

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X