Random stalling solved, need help on a part - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random stalling solved, need help on a part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random stalling solved, need help on a part

Ok so I believe I solved why the car was stalling and having trouble starting after. The connection that hooks up to the ICM has something wrong with it.

Everytime I stall out I get no spark when I try to start her up again. I had a friend turn the key and I wiggled the connection and everytime it turned over. It took me and my friend pulling over 5 times since it kept stalling out.

What im wiggling is the plastic connector to the ICM:

What should I replace? the entire wire harness?

EDIT: If it looks loose here thats because I loosened it already but I made it was tight before.
    Last edited by Cammy98; 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM.

Re: Random stalling solved, need help on a part

I would try using something that can hold them in place. Maybe take the PCM out and use cable ties wrapped around the harnesses and PCM body to keep it tightly together.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

True.

Well I took it out and wrenched back in using super human strength on that bolt. We'll see if it improves im pretty sick of tow trucks

Comment

If it does not work then replace the wiring harness.

Comment

Anybody know where I can find a wiring harness used and/or new. I cant seem to find one for a V6

Comment

Junkyard

Comment

Just look up the wires on there see which one would make it stall , IGN. wire would make it stall, so look at the blue wire or blue and white wire, I think thats IGN. and the brown wire for the ref. signal. Just look and make sure the connections are good and and no breaks in the wire. Could just be the the connector is bent wrong, esp. if you wiggle it and it starts.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I think that bent lookin red wire in the picture, I can see some copper poking out of the sheath. But it looks so small I dont know if it would interfere.

Comment

Make sure there in all the way , the wires might not be connecting, look at the harness an then pull the ICM to see if the contacts are intact.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The contacts are all in good shape, and the ICM is brand new.

How do I make sure the wires are in good contact with the connector

Comment

Have it started and one by one move them , let it cool and do it again to see if one is shorting out, just watch the engine temp so you don't get burned. Try to wiggle each one and maybe push in on it to see if it cuts out the engine. Once you find the wire strip it to see if it is broken somewhere fix it if it is and just use some heat shrink to repair it with black elect. tape. If it is in the harness, you can get wires that will go in the harness just like stock, I got my whole A4 tranny harness from a place(can't think of the name right now) and they would slide in and lock in place. Worked great just like if it was a Auto from the factory. Thats how I would replace it if it is in the harness, needle nose pillers should take out the old with a good pull and the new ones with the pillers can be pushed in until it clicks. Good luck. I hope it is just upstream so you can just splice it in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X