So my wifes truck clicks when I try to start it.. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my wifes truck clicks when I try to start it..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my wifes truck clicks when I try to start it..

I'm guessing it's the starter. I have all power to windows and radio. I'm about to go check the battery voltage and amperage, and also try the short starter with a screwdriver trick. Any other advice? It's a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe.

I would think it's just the starter but would a weak battery allow me to roll down windows and play the radio but not start the truck?

Re: So my wifes truck clicks when I try to start it..

Could be starter relay or IGN. wiring, I would say yes for a weak batttery to roll down windows and play radio, just doesn't have enough amps to start the truck. Could be a dead cell in the batt.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ok, so definitely not the starter, I had a buddy jump me and at it started no problem. so it's the battery right? I had him charge me up for 10-15 minutes and when I disconnected his cables I started it and again started with no hesitation.

when we checked the battery voltage it showed 11.6v and when we checked the amperage it actually didn't register, even when I tried to start it while a meter was hooked up to it.

or

could this be an alternator? radio and windows wouldn't work without the alternator would they?

Comment

alright, about to go try the alternator test...

1.) loosen negative cable on battery
        2.) start car
        3.) remove negative cable from battery

if car remains on the alternator is fine...

if the car dies the alternator is the culprit...

^^^^above only works for older cars...
        Last edited by ne0hisda0ne; 06-18-2009, 04:25 PM. Reason: older cars only

Comment

Don't remove the battery cable from the battery with the truck running. You will be replacing the alternator. And probably some other electrical equipment. An alternator needs something to charge through, unlike a generator. I know people do this all the time, but it's just plain wrong.

Comment

well instead of bashing my way of doing it, why don't you tell me a proper way of doing it?

Comment

the car runs fine after I charged the battery up for a while...lights on and everything...

Comment

ok, so tested it one more time...

took a volt meter..turned it to DC...it read 11.6v...when I started the truck the voltage dropped to about 9v, then jumped back up to 11, when I started turning lights and radio and ac on no drops in voltage...also when I revved the engine the voltage went to 13.6v...so with that I'm not thinking this is an alternator problem...more a battery problem...

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
                  alright, about to go try the alternator test...

1.) loosen negative cable on battery
                  2.) start car
                  3.) remove negative cable from battery

if car remains on the alternator is fine...

if the car dies the alternator is the culprit...
                  yeah dont do that unless the truck is built before the 1980's unless you feel like replacing your cars computer after you fry it with a voltage spike

Comment

well I already tried it...truck instantly died...

if truck stayed on I can see someone connecting the battery while it was still on and a voltage spike happening...which only a moron would do that...but removing it and the truck dying and then reconnecting it while the truck is obviously not on, I don't see any harm in it...

truck started fine btw after I did it...thinking though obviously that test don't work for this truck...as when I rev the engine the battery increases it's voltage and when I turn on devices that require power the battery doesn't drastically decrease in voltage...
                    Last edited by ne0hisda0ne; 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Get the truck started, and run it down to Auto zone, discount auto, oreilleys, wal mart / sams club, any auto store (usually) and have them test the alternator.

Your alternator may be charging, just not efficiently.

Like you said, if you charge your battery fully, it will start and keep the car running for a while, until the voltage drops.

Its usually free to do an alternator test.
                      *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

have you ever seen under the hood of a hyundai santa fe...don't even know where to start looking for the alternator...ha!

LOL!!

Just follow the serpentine...hopefully not in too bad a location...would they require it to be removed...cause that may be a problem...
                        Last edited by ne0hisda0ne; 06-18-2009, 05:00 PM.

Comment

just called vatozone...said they don't need it removed...said they have a tool...guessing it's either a MicroVAT or DTAC...so wish me luck...I'm out...

Comment

well vatazone checked it with his tester, told him thought it was either the battery or the alternator, he hooked it up and ran the tests and said both are fine..???..says the battery reads a lil' low, but the tester didn't find anything wrong. ever since that jump and charge from my buddies car I've had no issues starting it. could the vatozone guy of done it wrong? he tested the circuit without me starting the car. does it need to be started to test the alternator? said a good 10-15 minute highway (above 2k rpm for 10-15 minutes, not stops) drive would fix the issue. wtf?
                            Last edited by ne0hisda0ne; 06-18-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Could someone have left the interior light on or something else on that would have drained the battery?
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X