drove through water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drove through water

hey guys.. it is raining like hell here and on my way home i drove through 2 huge puddles of water, and here is what happened:

puddle 1 - lights dimmed and my volt gauge was reading in the red, after about 20 seconds i heard a squealing sound and everything went back to normal

puddle 2 - same thing happened except my lights were dim for about a minute and the gauge was reading very low, then everything went back to normal, except for the fact that my car felt like it had no power

this was only a few blocks from home, but i checked my oil and it looked good

im assuming my belt got wet and was slipping causing my volts to be very low and my lights dim?

you guys think any water could have gotten in my oil.. thats my main fear, buy if water did get in there, would you guys think a half mile of driving would turn it milky?

this really sucks, and im a bit scared to drive my car now because i dont want to mess the bearings up

Re: drove through water

do you have a cold air intake or just a lid?

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
      do you have a cold air intake or just a lid?
      just a lid, everything is basically 100% stock

although i didnt check to see if my air filter was wet

Comment

i dont think you sucked up water then, you'd really have to be in some deep *** water for that to happen. if you had a cold air id be worried about sucking water up since it sits lower.

let it sit for a while and dry out and try it. could just be the belt was slipping.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
          i dont think you sucked up water then, you'd really have to be in some deep *** water for that to happen. if you had a cold air id be worried about sucking water up since it sits lower.

let it sit for a while and dry out and try it. could just be the belt was slipping.
          thats what im hoping happened

and yeah, i highly doubt anything got sucked up, the water was probably a foot or so deep

Comment

If water got into your oil like that, you have other problems you should worry about. Otherwise, you could have gotten your starter cables wet. Maybe it's time for a new belt too.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
              If water got into your oil like that, you have other problems you should worry about. Otherwise, you could have gotten your starter cables wet. Maybe it's time for a new belt too.
              my oil pan gasket is pretty bad, i have to put 4 quarts of oil in every 1500 miles because it leaks out

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                my oil pan gasket is pretty bad, i have to put 4 quarts of oil in every 1500 miles because it leaks out
                holy ****.... fix tht thing

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                  Get a tubular K member and you'll never worry about changing that again. So good point about water being able to F yer oil up. Hell, I'd be afraid to drive around on a rainy day with something that bad.

However, that is a really really bad leak.. You sure it's your pan gasket? Maybe it's a rear main or valve cover disguised as an oil pan.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

hell my rear main leaks like a siv, has for 3 years lol. dont plan on fixing it until i buy my new trans in the next few months.

Follow me!
                    Or this

Comment

You've pretty much answered your question. The belt got wet which explains the squelling sound and once it is slipping it affected the alt. or the water can affect that too.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

+ another on the wet belts...

I really dont think you would need to worry about your oil... The positive oil pressure in the motor should keep anything from comming in.

Comment

You're belt is probably slipping and if your voltage went that low, you probably have a bad battery. Voltage shouldn';t drop that much with just a slipping belt. You should be able to drive around at least 1/2 the day with a bad alternator before your battery totally gives out on you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X