fuel pouring out of intake on attempted start up - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuel pouring out of intake on attempted start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pouring out of intake on attempted start up

so... drove my 2000 camaro to the movies, watched a movie, came out and car wouldn't start up. i noticed a strong smell of gas. i had my friend try to start it and noticed gas pouring out my airbox... any ideas?

Re: fuel pouring out of intake on attempted start up

T
    headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
    powerdyne supercharger 6psi
    GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
    Hell yea

Comment

Hmm... any other problems you've noticed? Hard starts, fuel smells, running rich, or anything else beforehand? Have you ever replaced the fuel pressure regulator?
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Pouring out the airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
          Pouring out the airbox?
          +1 how the heck fuel get to the air box???? pics?

Comment

the only time I've heard of that is on motorcycles..the floater will stick on the carb...

Comment

^ive had tht happen on model planes lol

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
                the only time I've heard of that is on motorcycles..the floater will stick on the carb...
                A bad fuel pressure regulator can allow fuel to get sucked into the intake manifold. But haven't really heard of one so extreme it backed up into the air box.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Fuel Pressure Regulator Test
                  This test checks the operation of the fuel pressure regulator to make sure it changes line pressure in response to changes in engine vacuum. This is necessary to maintain the proper operating pressure behind the injectors and to compensate for changes in engine load.

With the engine running, disconnect the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator. As a rule, fuel system pressure should increase 8 to 12 psi with the line disconnected. No change would indicate a faulty pressure regulator, or a leaky or plugged vacuum line.

If the diaphragm inside the regulator is leaking, engine vacuum will suck raw fuel into the intake manifold through the vacuum hose (look for fuel inside the hose).

Comment

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_fuel_pressure.htm

When the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm ruptures it allows raw fuel into the vacuum feed line and then into the intake system of the engine. This condition creates a rich black smoke from the tail pipe on start up and while running.

Comment

Pouring out though sounds more serious than a regulator...but there is always something crazy out there...

Comment

didn't notice any fuel in the vacuum lines although there was definitely a leak. can't get the car started to check the regulator. can't get pics cause i'm at work and car is a couple towns away. it was definitely pouring out though. it came out through the intake and through the tube to the airbox lid, soaked through the filter and was coming out the bottom. when the key was turned from on to start the fuel just poured out. not a slow trickle but a stream. the other f-body forum i hang out at thinks it might be an injector stuck open. didn't really notice any problems before that. the thermostat was sticking a little but the temp was fine when i parked the car.

Comment

Originally posted by red00camaro View Post
                          didn't notice any fuel in the vacuum lines although there was definitely a leak. can't get the car started to check the regulator. can't get pics cause i'm at work and car is a couple towns away. it was definitely pouring out though. it came out through the intake and through the tube to the airbox lid, soaked through the filter and was coming out the bottom. when the key was turned from on to start the fuel just poured out. not a slow trickle but a stream. the other f-body forum i hang out at thinks it might be an injector stuck open. didn't really notice any problems before that. the thermostat was sticking a little but the temp was fine when i parked the car.
                          well if it's an injector you can always tell just by unplugging 1 at a time and seeing if the "stream" of fuel goes away...

Comment

i'll give it a shot when i get out of work and let you folks know how it goes. thanks!

Comment

I'm voting for one or more injectors stuck open. I can just imagine the pump starting and a steady stream of gas flowing from the injector(s). If more than one is stuck open, you need to get a test light and attach it to the harness for the injectors to see if the light flashes when you crank the engine. If you have a steady ON light, it may be PCM-related, or a short somewhere is making the injector(s) activate and stay in the full-open position. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you had several injectors wide open, by what you're saying about the amount of gas coming out. That would be something to see.
                              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X