a/c blowing weak and not blowing at all - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a/c blowing weak and not blowing at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c blowing weak and not blowing at all

Two years ago I replaced my compressor and dryer due to a leak... Now my ac still blows cold but after several minutes of driving it starts blowing weak and eventually doesnt blow at all. ???? any help ?

Re: a/c blowing weak and not blowing at all

Did you check if the ac pump still spins after the ac stops blowing?

Comment

I think what insaneABOT is trying to say is did you check to see if the A/C clutch is still spinning when the AC stops blowing? Also when stops blowing, do you mean completely stops blowing or just stops blowing cold air? If it stop blowing all together you might have a "blower motor" issue. Maybe you have a short somewhere for it to start and stop?

Comment

I had a similar issue, brand new compressor, checked all the lines with a scanner thingy, to no results. i just ended up putting some freon in it and its ice cold now.

but it did the same thing as yours did, blows cold then just blows air.

dont know if this helped but its something to think about.
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

stops moving air completely when it stops and then will magically start for a minute or two (air remains cold) and repeat.... I have had a clicking noise coming from the blower motor location for atleast a year or two. I have not yet opened anything up to check that out. A/c clutch on the compressor or in with the blower motor?

Comment

alright so air completely stops? if so then no need to check the clutch.

clutch is what activates the ac system (the coldness), when the clutch is disengaged the compressor pretty much then just acts as a pulley. hence you'll still get air blowing just warm or hot air.

if your air completely cuts off and then a minute later starts blowing again, I'm willing to bet it's your blower or something to do with the blower circuit. a motor can be bought for cheap like $40 at your local auto shop...

I would investigate that clicking...you said you know it's the blower...is it coming from the passenger side under the dash? if so then pull your motor...test it while not mounted and still plugged into your car...use safety and don't be dumb with it...anyways, good luck...

Comment

oh sorry read it wrong i guess
              1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
              1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
              1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
              2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna pull the motor tomorrow. Till then I'd rather be on my motorcycle than stuck in that car 20 miles from work when I gotta be there at 3:00 pm and it's 95 outside, dang cool Texas summers lol...

Comment

My A/C clutch went out 4 years ago. I drive in the Tx weather with no A/C all the time. Our car is an oven without A/C. So trust me I understand. Good luck, post back if need be...

Comment

Okay figured out what the clicking was. When I pulled the old motor out the fan basket was full of leaves, this would probably explain why I quit hearing the clicking awhile back. I didn't bother putting the old one back in and testing it out with no leaves since the new one was only 40 bucks. Fairly easy install, I only cussed a couple times after dropping a screw. A/C hums like new now........
                    Thanks for all the help

Comment

SCORE! Yeah I dunno about a "ticking" sound though...think that is the wrong way to describe it..I hear more of a "baseball card in a bicyle wheel" sound...but to each his own...our car is really bad about sucking **** in through the vents between the windshield and the hood...glad it's fixed...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X