Rocker arm problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker arm problem?

I have a 3.4l. i just did a comp cam with flat top lifters, and have comp roller rockers. When adjusting the valve lash by adjusting the rockers it ticks when i start the motor. I have put the roller rockers to stock spec and it seems to back off when i start the car? Does anyone know if i need top tighten the rockers any tighter the stock spec?

Re: Rocker arm problem?

there is a specific procedure to be followed for adjusting valve lash. get a haynes manual or equivalent.

Comment

i have never heard of lashing a hydraulic cam before

Comment

With self adjusting rockers it should just be how much FT. LBS. they should be TQ to.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

these are NOT self adjusting rockers.

Comment

They are not self adjusting rockers. and there is no tq spec! The manual says " reduce the play from the rods ( meaning tighten untill the rod can not turn) and then give it one and a half turns! which seems right because it is snug and feel good untill i put the whole motor back together and find out it still ticks!!! Im going crazy.

Comment

whats up greg.

i know exactly what your going through. and it sucks cause it took me and my friend forever to figure it out.

but what you have to do is. turn the engine over. to the COMPRESSION side of each cylinder. and adjust the exhaust and intake valve rocker arms accordingly.

its like they will be snug then when you run the engine it seems loos again. thats because when you tightned them the first time. you didnt tighten them on the COMPRESSION side.

hope that helps man

Comment

Originally posted by Gregp View Post
                They are not self adjusting rockers. and there is no tq spec! The manual says " reduce the play from the rods ( meaning tighten untill the rod can not turn) and then give it one and a half turns! which seems right because it is snug and feel good untill i put the whole motor back together and find out it still ticks!!! Im going crazy.
                you are doing this with the valves closed, correct?

Comment

Did you fill the lifters with oil before installing and bleed the air out?

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                    Did you fill the lifters with oil before installing and bleed the air out?
                    3.4's have flat tappet cams, correct?

you dont need to fill them up, but most people just dip them in oil before installing them

Comment

yeah, you only really need to give them lots of oil if they are brand new lifters, otherwise you can just kind of drip oil down into the lifter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X