Is this normal oil pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal oil pressure?

I've been noticing lately that my oil pressure will go from 40ish when accelerating to having the needle dip to about the 1/4 mark on the guage when idle. Is this normal?

1995, 3.4 5 speed if that helps....162k miles.......its not running pretty lately and I'm trying to track the reason(s) of why its running so crappy and noticed this lately.

Re: Is this normal oil pressure?

all you need to know about oil pressure
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

When was the last time you changed your oil? I would try that first. Make sure you change the "oil filter" out when you do. If that doesn't help it any, I would get a manual gauge, hook it up and let it run until it warms up. See what the manual gauge says vs your dash gauge, rev it (watch the manual gauge) and check dash gauge again (may need someone to help you with this test). If different, then good..you just have a sending unit problem. If the same you may have a bad bearing (worst case), fallen pickup stick or lose pickup stick, also you might of hit something and your oil pan is dented causing the pressure to be wacky.

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
        When was the last time you changed your oil? I would try that first. Make sure you change the "oil filter" out when you do. If that doesn't help it any, I would get a manual gauge, hook it up and let it run until it warms up. See what the manual gauge says vs your dash gauge, rev it (watch the manual gauge) and check dash gauge again (may need someone to help you with this test). If different, then good..you just have a sending unit problem. If the same you may have a bad bearing (worst case), fallen pickup stick or lose pickup stick, also you might of hit something and your oil pan is dented causing the pressure to be wacky.
        this question gets answered so much on here...

oil change good idea, try using a thicker weight oil. i think ssms uses a 20/50 oil cause of where he lives in such extreme heat.

bad bearing wouldnt cause low oil press, if anything it would cause it to be raised, due to bearing blocking oil passages. fallen pickup tube would cause no pressure, loose would cause low.

dented oil pan wouldnt cause anything, but possibly a misreading by your oil level sensor, and even then it would cause it to read higher due to the displacement of fluid from the impact.

it could also be your oil pump, every now and again they just start to wear out. the clearances between the gears will increase and cause the oil not to be presurized and possibly in fact force the oil backwards, which will cause low oil press.

in conclusion, change your oil, possibly using a thicker weight oil, if that still causes your gauge to read low, then check it with a manual guage to see the accuracy of your stock gauge. if it then still reads low, look into oil pump problems.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

youre fine.

good rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000rpm

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
            youre fine.

good rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000rpm

if that was the case then at 3000 rpms (80 mph) you would only be at 30 psi when the factory states it should be between 55-60 psi under full load and 25-30 at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by jrherald420 View Post
              if that was the case then at 3000 rpms (80 mph) you would only be at 30 psi when the factory states it should be between 55-60 psi under full load and 25-30 at idle.
              i started my engine today with a brand new oil pump/timing cover/oil pressure switch, and it was running right above the 2nd hash mark at idle, when i gave it a little go, it went a little above the middle hash mark.
              Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by jrherald420 View Post
                youre not getting what im saying. im saying that as long as youre building minimum 10psi per 1k rpm youre good.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

bad bearings can lower oil pressure

more bearing wear equals more gap between the journal and bearing meaning more oil can flow through and have a lower oil pressure

Comment

a dirty oil filter can cause low oil pressure, as well as a dirty pickup tube screen...

change your oil...and filter...cheapest and easiest thing to do...

next check with a manual gauge (do this first before you start removing ****!)

if different between dash gauge and manual gauge then it's the sending unit...

if same between dash gauge and manual gauge then drop pan and check the oil pickup tube....clean the screen, check for to see if it's mounted right (if lose and air gets in the engine, it creates low oil pressure)...

if all that fails to fix the problem...check your bearings...if bearings are fine...you may have a pump problem...

Comment

i notice when my car gets to around 2500 miles, my oil pressure starts to get a bit lower than normal, and will stay that way until i do an oil change, and it will be about 5-10psi higher with the oil warm at idle

Comment

mine drops by 15 psi all together after about 700-800 miles, but i think the rings are shot and thats why the oils smells like gas and runs out like water.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X