No spark on 2 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark on 2 cylinders

I have no spark coming from the rear most coil (I believe for cylinders 1 and 4). It was sputtering and idling rough so I replaced that very same coil. When I went to start it up again the brand new coil still was receiving no spark and the blinking SES light came back.

So if its not the coil what could it be? faulty ICM?

Oh and about a week ago I had the PCM replaced could that contribute to that on coil not firing?

Re: No spark on 2 cylinders

I would swap one of your other coils into that spot and see what happens. The new coil could be bad. If it still doesn't work, and since you are getting spark on the other cylinders it almost has to be your ICM. If it was the PCM you would probably have nothing. Pull the ICM and get it checked out. I know Advanced Auto can test them, I had mine tested there.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Man I was hoping it wouldn't be the ICM.

I didn't think about changing the position of that coil. If it doesn't get better I will for sure get the ICM checked out

Comment

Alright got the ICM tested and it failed. hah. Kind of a relief at this point i've been struggling with this car for like 2 months

Well luckily got a new ICM that was in stock and going to get the toasted catalytic converter replaced with a new one!!

Thanx again

Comment

You can also test coils with a mutimeter just use the OHM tester on it. You can test the top and the bottom of the coil.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I replaced the ICM but its still misfiring when under load. Im holding up on replacing the cat because it still has the same problem.

When im accelerating it bucks and stutters and I sometimes even hear a faint backfire. The idle is smooth just under load it goes from smooth to rough and back again throughout the RPM's. Not to mention that blinking SES light. I scanned it and got a P0300 code.

fuel injector? other 2 coils bad?

Comment

that sounds like a clogged exhaust...

are you getting no spark at all on a specific cyl?
              sigpic
              98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy98 View Post
                I replaced the ICM but its still misfiring when under load. Im holding up on replacing the cat because it still has the same problem.

When im accelerating it bucks and stutters and I sometimes even hear a faint backfire. The idle is smooth just under load it goes from smooth to rough and back again throughout the RPM's. Not to mention that blinking SES light. I scanned it and got a P0300 code.

fuel injector? other 2 coils bad?
                what still has the same problem? when you run a car with only 4 cylinders to it's 6 or 6 to it's 8 it will obviously not fire all fuel dumped in the chambers, where does it go?? exhaust, where does it ignite? the cat...what happens when a cat goes bad...honeycomb material breaks up...pressure from exhaust shoves pieces into the exhaust piping like a cork...where does all the CO go, back up into the engine...

inhale through you nose and exhale out your mouth....now cover your mouth..can you exhale?

Comment

I woul say fuel injector, or have someone rev your car and put your hand over the exhaust and see if you have exhaust flow coming out. I had one fuel injector that set off a PO300 code for about a year replaced everything turned out to be a bad injector.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

OK so heres the skinny let me go through everything.

Previously there was no spark on one coil (cylinder 1 and 4 coil pack). I replaced it and still had no spark. I took the ICM to get tested and it failed. I then replaced the ICM.

After that the car got sparks on all coils. The idle was smooth it wasn't until I took it for a drive that the SES light came back and started its steady nagging (flashing). As soon as it started flashing the car began bucking and backfiring like crazy. It would run steady for a second then start bucking and accelerating really rough.

When I have someone rev the engine the exhaust flow feels strong but in the higher RPM's of about 2k and over thats when the sputtering starts. The mechanic I took it to said replacing the cat wont fix the misfire since he feels significant exhaust flow he doesn't think its completely clogged. He's going to take a look at the fuel injectors tomorrow to see if that may be the problem.

Comment

You either have multiple cylinders misfiring, or the computer cant determine which cylinder is misfiring. Did you do a crank/cam sensor relearn after you put the new pcm in? If not run to the dealership and have them relearn it. If so I would test the coils again. A faulty ICM will wreak havoc on ignition coils. Are the plugs and wires still fresh? You have been compressing raw fuel on at least one cylinder for a while which will load that spark plug with fuel.

Comment

flashing SES means misfire...straight up...

re-pull your codes....

Comment

Ok I got it. I replaced the other 2 coils and still nothing.

So here is where I had my stupid moment. I looked at the spark plug wires and one was contacting the header and pretty much melted it in 2 spots. Why didn't I check this before :slap:

Replaced the bad wire, now no codes car runs great.

Comment

been there done that...you should invest in some wire covers and/or 180* wires...:rock:

Comment

Haha im going to. Any brand in particular?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X