Alternator Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Problem?

Last evening I started my car and the "check gages" light came on. I then noticed that my voltmeter was down around the 8 level. Usually it is over 13.

When I drove home from work everything was fine. It was charging properly. I parked it in the driveway, and when I went to leave an hour later this happened.

Would an alternator go out that fast, or could it possibly just be a loose or broken wire? I haven't had time to look at it yet as it was dark and I had to be at work at 6 AM today.

Anyone else had this happen? I did a search but didn't find anything comparable.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: \"WOW!!!!, what a ride!\"

When mine went out the check gauges ligth came on and then it died pretty quick after that.

JR
    1996 Camaro 3.8<br />Edelbrock Exhaust, SLP Intake, Bosch, Platinum +4 Plugs, Accel Wires, SLP fan switch<p>\"Let the good times roll\"

Comment

Alternator is shot. It's a fairly common problem for F-bodies
      2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I'll say!! Mine nuked itself on the way to AIS this year!!!! :mad: This makes number 4!! GRRRR

Steve
        FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
        Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
        Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

It was definitely the alternator. I picked up a new lifetime warranty one at AutoZone for $139 plus a $60 core charge. I put it on tonight and it works great. Got my $60 back from AutoZone and life is great!!!!

Got the battery charger on it now to make sure the battery is charged up before running it.....
          [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: \"WOW!!!!, what a ride!\"

Comment

Is it just me or do they seem to nuke on the highway?
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
            1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X