Changing Spark Plug Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Spark Plug Wires

So I got headers put in last week and now I need to change my spark plug wires. I don't wanna bring it to a shop again so I wanna do it myself. This will be my first time doing this. I got MSD 8.5 90* wires coming tuesday. Is it just removing the old wire and pluging the new one on? And is there any way to route the wires so they won't melt or burn on anything hot in there?

Re: Changing Spark Plug Wires

Yeah, pretty much just do it one at a time so you don't screw up the order. Take old off, put new on. I say route it the way they are already routed if the ones you have now aren't burning, your new ones shouldn't. Easy as pie.

Comment

just make sure they arent toucking the headers if its an 2000 to 02 i would run the drives side ones to the back and then up like they did on the 99 and older ones and the pasenger side how they were

Comment

Driver's side didn't give me any problems but the passenger's side did. I did purchase 180* boots though, which may have been my problem. I also bought eBay mesh boot protectors for like 6 bucks each which saved a lot of my wires. Only one was pressed up hard enough on the piper to burn through the protector, the rest just acted like an extra layer of insulation.

I also routed exactly like they already were, except for the middle on on the passenger side. I purchased a 90* boot for that one and just wrapped the wire over the, pardon my technical terminology, thing you pour the oil into. Looks stupid but keeps the long wire from resting on a pipe more than it should.
        Last edited by u441105; 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Always apply clear dielectric grease in your spark plug boots.

Makes for easier application and removal next time you're scheduled to replace the wires again.
          Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

i found out that those wires sucked a$s with headers since they were not cut to fit. i burned right threw them in one day. if i where you...i would just return them and get a 90 deg cut and play wire. i have taylors.
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

My tip for doing this (more my dad's, to be honest) is that when you remove one wire, have all of your new wires lined up according to side. Compare the old wire to the new ones to find the one closest in length. Then use that wire!

It helps stop you from using your long wires in a situation where you should be using a shorter one.

Comment

I have the msd on my 96Rs with RKsport headers. Just routed them in the factory location under the headers. For my 69 camaro, I just installed the Universal cut to length wires since I have tall valve covers and custom wire looms. I checked each wire with an Ohm meter and they were within the 40-50 ohm resistence per foot. My old accel 8.8 were 500 ohm and the taylors spiro pros I have I think were around 300. I can't remember exactly since it was a while since I put taylors on my grandprix, but I do know they were less then the accels, but way more than the Msd. For the money, Msd are the best wire out there.
                69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242
                  ne0hisda0ne, some people are beginners.
                  Hey, that's me! In fact, that's why I bought my Firebird, to try to learn some stuff on. I've already hit this forum with a stupid question from Brake Job 2009, which was answered quickly and saved me from following unsound advice from a friend, and I've got plenty more queued up :) Coils/wires/plugs are on my long list of things to do, so personally, I appreciate the simple answers. I was watching this thread, because after battling misfires, I've been wondering about the way the wires in my car are routed.

Comment

With the headers you should be alright, if you have mechanical ability and common sense you'll do fine just use some boot protectors and they have rubber keepers that keep the wires together. Once you have boot protectors on there your pretty much safe since they won't touch the heads or headers. I got my black boot protectors on ebay for $28 shipped for 6 of them an they withstand 1200 to 1600 degrees. Mine rub on spots on the headers and it just turns white. I have RK sports with straight boots. Only on 1 boot protector and it is still holding up. Just take your time and do 1 wire at a time to match it up with the wire you pulled. I also got those number clip ons that you can put on the wires so you know which wire is which, they work great. Def. get boot protectors they made my last wires hold up 8-9 years. Good luck , if you get stuck you know where to post.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne
                      Not to be rude, but who needs help on changing plugs and wires? It's like he easiest thing to do on a car besides changing your own oil.
                      If he had stock manifolds it takes people awhile to change them out plus you need to make sure the gap is right and putting them back in can be a b!tch since you have to feel your way to get them in. Headers cut the time in half.

OP I will post a link to the boot protectors for ya , my new ones have been on there about a year in the AZ heat and still holding up well.
                      Her is a example here for ya:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...4506.m20.l1116
                      Last edited by 97rs4life; 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Just out of curiosity, are those black plastic wire covers sufficient to protect the wire from heat?

I don't have aftermarket headers, and have never had a problem with my wires melting, I was just curious.
                        Last edited by 97rs4life; 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Clean it up guys, take it to PM if you have issues. Answer the OPs questions and not pick fights please. This goes for everyone involved, not just the person that started it.
                          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by inheritthefire View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, are those black plastic wire covers sufficient to protect the wire from heat?

I don't have aftermarket headers, and have never had a problem with my wires melting, I was just curious.
                            Here are the boot protectors: They are hard to get on 90 degree wires ,thats why I get the sraight oness so they go right on.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...4506.m20.l1116

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X