charging system problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging system problem?

i'm having a problem with my car and sort of at a loss as to what might be causing my problem..my car is apparently overcharging the battery, as indicated by the guage on the dash..my battery was dead so i replaced it and my alternator had tested bad too so i went ahead and replaced that also..now when i drive sometimes the volts jump up to around 17 and hold steady, other times it shoots back down to the 13.5-14 volt range..i've tested both that battery and alternator, with normal results. could the voltage regulator in the alternator be the problem, if only at intermittent times? whenever i've tested my alternator the regulator volts on the machine have been right around 14..like i said i'm at a loss here and would rather not blow my battery up from overcharging

Re: charging system problem?

Id do one of two things...

Take the alternator back to where you purchased it and get a new one. Sounds like the voltage regulator, and get an even exchange.

or

Get a multimeter, and check voltage on it when it spikes, and see if its really charging at 17V or not.

I'd probably just change the alternator again, it only takes like 20 minutes.
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Re: charging system problem?

check the boot on the back of the alternator, i have seen those loose before and people get crazy readings.. also lose battery cables

get a DMM and check the voltage when you see a spike though, its really the only way to tell what is actually going on

im leaning towards a bad battery connection causing voltage spikes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X