i think i have a big problem someone give me some input please! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i think i have a big problem someone give me some input please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think i have a big problem someone give me some input please!

whenever i put my car in reverse it sounds like the gear is grinding it wont just let me put it in reverse even if im at a stop i always have to put it in 1st then directly into reverse. what could this be clutch or transmission and all foward gears work fine.

Re: i think i have a big problem someone give me some input please!

syncros

Comment

I never seen them not do that. I have to go into 5 then R. And sometimes 1, 5 then R...

As long as it doesnt grind after youve put it in 1. If it grinds not matter what you do, then your synchro is going out. Every stick Ive ever driven does this, where its a pita to get in R, not always grinding though.
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
        syncros
        reverse doesnt have a syncro.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

So how can I fix that? And what would I need?

Comment

You don't. Reverse is an unsychronized gear. And it's Straight-Cut. Only way to deter it would be to open the case and refresf the tranny. And it will come back. Welcome to the world of owning a 5 speed F-body.
            Y87 Package
            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
            BONE APPROVED!
            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
            Team Black...TEAM EMO
            sigpic
            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

whoa whoa whoa, everyone hold on here

get in your car, start it up, press the clutch in, go to 1st gear, take it out of first gear with the clutch still being pushed in, wait 10 seconds, then try putting it in reverse

or you can just press teh clutch pedal in for ~20 seconds and see if it will go into reverse without grinding

i ALWAYS put it in 1st before going to reverse so it doesnt grind

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                whoa whoa whoa, everyone hold on here

get in your car, start it up, press the clutch in, go to 1st gear, take it out of first gear with the clutch still being pushed in, wait 10 seconds, then try putting it in reverse

or you can just press teh clutch pedal in for ~20 seconds and see if it will go into reverse without grinding

i ALWAYS put it in 1st before going to reverse so it doesnt grind
                haha, do that all the time thought it was just me...

sometime it won't go into reverse so you have to jam it in first then back in reverse (with clutch in), if I still can't shift into reverse I try every gear then back to first and "then" reverse will work...glad to know I'm not the only one...didn't know it was time related though...so me just jamming it into every other gear does nothing...it's time related?

Comment

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

Shows a little bit of why reverse does what it does
                  Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                  Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
                    haha, do that all the time thought it was just me...

sometime it won't go into reverse so you have to jam it in first then back in reverse (with clutch in), if I still can't shift into reverse I try every gear then back to first and "then" reverse will work...glad to know I'm not the only one...didn't know it was time related though...so me just jamming it into every other gear does nothing...it's time related?
                    yeah, what is happening is your trans is still spinning, since reverse doesnt have syncros, it grinds

if you are patient enough, then you can press your clutch in and wait like 5-10sec for everything to stop spinning and it will slide into gear

if mine wont go in gear i just let the clutch out and press it back in then try 1st to reverse again

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
                      http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

Shows a little bit of why reverse does what it does
                      i like! i didnt understand it till i actually took one apart, thats exact.
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

mine does the same thing every once in a while and i've found that if i put it in 1st and barely inch the car foward with some throttle, it will let me slide into reverse very easily...dunno why but it works.

i just wish i had the same tranny out of my ls1...that thing never gives me trouble :drool:
                        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

it's normal dont worry

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Hah I always wondered why my car did this. When I start her up and back away I never let off the clutch and the reverse is smooth.

But anywhere else its true gotta stick it into 1st then into reverse and its seemless. If i dont theres a big grind. yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                              mine does the same thing every once in a while and i've found that if i put it in 1st and barely inch the car foward with some throttle, it will let me slide into reverse very easily...dunno why but it works.
                              This always works for me. If it doesn't want to go into reverse right away, stick it in first, ease off the clutch just enough to rock the car, then push clutch back in and stick it in reverse.
                              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X