Catalytic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalytic question

So I had a problem with my 1998 Camaro that started last week. Driving to L.A. and back (about 50 miles total) the SES light kept on blinking and im pretty sure its a misfire i'll check into that later (rough idle, lacks power, sluggish under load, etc). Well when I got home I noticed the cat was glowing red, obviously not good, due to that stupid misfire caused excessive fuel to get dumped into the cat.

So my question here is, the cat is about 1.5 years old and I only ran it "hot" for 50 miles would that be enough to significantly damage or destroy the cat? or should I start thinking about buying a new cat (I live in California so these things aint cheap, I gotta get those top of the line ones)

Thanx for your opinions guys

Re: Catalytic question

If the cat is glowing red and affecting drivability, it's done for. Glowing red means it's plugged up. You'll need to look into getting a new one or see what the warranty on that one is.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Would the SES light blink if the cat is done or is that the misfire?

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy98 View Post
        Would the SES light blink if the cat is done or is that the misfire?
        blinking ses light is a misfire.. although the cat could possibly cause a misfire

i find it hard to believe that raw fuel caused your cat to glow red, its usually the opposite, leaner engines will run hotter since the fuel is used to cool the combustion chamber down

Comment

True.

But I find it so odd that the cat would just go out like that.... wouldn't something normally cause it to go bad. especially since its so new.

Im glad I still kept the paper work of my purchase :D

Comment

cheap cats usually will just go out that like and will cause the car to run horrible, and misfire. if you have a warranty, use it. If not, I'd look into a Carsound replacement, or something similar; get rid of it completely if you want/can.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
              blinking ses light is a misfire.. although the cat could possibly cause a misfire

i find it hard to believe that raw fuel caused your cat to glow red, its usually the opposite, leaner engines will run hotter since the fuel is used to cool the combustion chamber down
              The cat was glowing red because it's plugged and not working properly, therefore blocking flow and retaining heat. Excess fuel will kill a cat pretty quickly. Cheaply made cats also tend to not last very long. It's possible that the cat was causing the misfire. But there could also be something else causing the car to run rich, which can result in a misfire and a ruined cat.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Gotcha. Thanx for the input guys.

Yah im going to buy a new cat but there aren't too many makers of California OBD2 and CARB compliant converters. Only one I found was Magnaflow #46006.

Haven't found any carsound ones.

EDIT: Would a clogged cat physically cause a misfire to occur, or only make the computer think that a misfire is happening?
                Last edited by Cammy98; 05-30-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

never heard a cat cause a misfire...maybe it's possible, the backpressure has to go somewhere...I'd get that code scanned...no reason to keep guessing at it when it could be as simple a code scan...

do this remove the cat and see if the misfire goes away...if at a shop see if they'll start it with it removed to check...anyways...atleast then you'll have your answer...

Comment

Im going to get it checked out soon enough.

I just asked because I wonder if the misfire caused the cat to die or the car just feels like its misfiring because the cat is dead. Both seemed to happen at exactly the same time. But yah your suggestion would probably give me that answer soon enough.

Comment

Magnaflow makes Carsound cats
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Ok solved the problem.

I fixed my leak at the EGR pipe and test the wires with my trusty spark tester and the coil near the rear of the engine is showing no spark light on those two wires.

So that coil died out. dumped unburned gas into the exhaust and caused my cat to die out in 5 seconds. Explains the stinky gas smell in the exhaust and the 4 cylinder performance at take off.

what are the chances of the PCM and a coil going out in the same damn week

Comment

BTW would running the car without the converter do any harm to the engine or the O2 sensors?

I mean I need the car until my converter comes in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy98 View Post
                            BTW would running the car without the converter do any harm to the engine or the O2 sensors?

I mean I need the car until my converter comes in the mail
                            Nope. Plenty of people run their cars without catalytic converters. If the rear O2 sensor is still active, it will set off an SES light (although I'm sure it already has with a bad cat) until you get a replacement installed. And your exhaust might smell a little funky without it.
                            '99 Camaro
                            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Alright good to know thanx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X