Dexcool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexcool?

Is it worth using it? or should I just switch to hulk blood.

I ask cuz im going to be flushing the radiator soon what do you guys say.

Re: Dexcool?

there is nothing wrong with dexcool as long as your cooling system works properly and you use distilled water to mix with it

personally, i would use the green stuff.. im running prestone extended life 50/50 mix made for green stuff/dexcool

Comment

If it were me, I'd go green. I've had a few bad experiences with dexcrap. Some people swear by it, but I won't.

I bought my car (new) back in early '97, and a few months later there were brown clumps forming in the rad. I flushed it 5 times a few years later and refilled it with premixed 50/50 Dexcrap I bought at autozone, but it still didn't help.

My GTO has dexcrap in it, but no clumps...yet. If and when I decide to flush it, I'll go green.
      sigpic

Comment

Switch to Prestone 50/50 here too about 9 years ago , Hell with Dexcool.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I changed my coolant about 2 years ago when I first got my car, and yes, I had the infamous brown sludge. Why? Because I believe it had never been changed. After flushing my cooling system and putting in a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water I have yet to see any sludge. Just because Dexcool is a long life coolant doesn't mean that you can drive forever without a flush, the way I see it is that people who have had problems with Dexcool are dealing with a cooling system that hasn't been regularly maintained. Use Dexcool and maintain your cooling system periodically.

Comment

i switched to the green

flushed it first with just water and then put the green stuff in i also removed my resivor and cleaned that and refilled with the green

Comment

Wait... What? There are people who like Dexcool?!

Stay away........ Far away!
              sigpic
              98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Haha alright good to know yah I think im going to switch to the green stuff too

Comment

i use dex cool and have no problems with it. i had clumps too but it turned out to be a leaking intake. but then again i might be just sticking with it bacause its free lol.

Comment

I still have a gallon of Dexcool left from a preliminary flush last year. I'll be using it again after the flush later this summer. It's fine so long as you get all the crap out of the system and use distilled water.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

My car is 7 years old and has 75K on it and my Dexcool is perfectly fine.
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

So pretty much just keep the fluids regularly maintained and either coolant type shouldn't matter.

Comment

Yucky... looks like snot...

Comment

hulk blood FTW!!!

Comment

My Dad retired from GM last year 40 years , he always said Dexcool was GM's crap fluid , to bring cars in for service which that's what makes the dealership its money. As soon as my warranty was up on the Camaro he had it all flushed out for me an had green stuff put in, no more sludge. AZ heat is really bad for making Dexcool sludging. My wifes old 3.4 Grand AM with 70,000 miles was all sludged up with dexcool when I did a lower manifold gasket replacement on it. Flushed as much sludge as I could , the resisvor just had chunks falling out of it. So when I was done used 50/50 premix safe for all coolants to refill and still had to get some chunks out of the res. again from it coming from inside the engine. So flushed it again with more chunks coming out. Refilled with safe 50/50 again and it was fine after that ran cooler and coolant was cleaner.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X