Engine running rough, won't sustain idle once it warms up, seems to want to backfire. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine running rough, won't sustain idle once it warms up, seems to want to backfire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine running rough, won't sustain idle once it warms up, seems to want to backfire.

My son's 98 V-6 Camaro suddenly started running very rough, after a long hot drive. Checked under the hood and found it 1/2 gallon low on antifreeze and a little low on oil. Replaced fluids, engine cooled, seemed to run ok for 2 days. Today, after a short drive, it acted up again, seems to be losing antifreeze from somewhere. But it won't sustain an idle, when reved up it cuts out, and has been backfiring a bit. I wondered if it got some bad fuel, and clogged a fuel filter. Is there one on the Camaro, and where is it? Or are these signs of something more serious?

Re: Engine running rough, won't sustain idle once it warms up, seems to want to backf

yes, there is a fuel filter around the drivers side wheel well

Comment

Re: Engine running rough, won't sustain idle once it warms up, seems to want to backf

I traced three fuel lines near the drivers side wheel well, they are covered by a protective foil-like cover in one section, but I did not see anything that looked like a normal fuel filter. Can you be more specific? Or direct me to a photo or diagram? Thanks for responding.

Comment

cheapest and easiest thing to do is change the fuel filter. worse case scenario you have a cracked head or block. head could of warped, gasket could of blown. if your "backfiring" and not misfiring I dunno what else to check, leaky intake manifold maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by zmz376 View Post
          I traced three fuel lines near the drivers side wheel well, they are covered by a protective foil-like cover in one section, but I did not see anything that looked like a normal fuel filter. Can you be more specific? Or direct me to a photo or diagram? Thanks for responding.
          where do you stick the nozzle at the gas station? right under that under the car close to the wheel...you'll see a copper cylinder looking thing...that's her...remove the bolt and I think there is a clip. like $10 at autozone. there will be gas, just beware...some may tell you to bleed it. all I did to bleed it was removed the clip and then the hose and turned the car on. let it go until it died.

Comment

I looked where you instructed. Did not see anything under the fuel nozzle filler in the wheel well area, except the black plastic wheel well liner. Is it under that? This is a 98 Camaro that I'm talking about. Did not see any copper colored fuel filter or fuel lines near the wheel. Thanks for your guidance however.

Comment

Ok, took a second look with a better flashlight, and found the fuel filter. It was further forward from the rear driver's wheel. Cylindrical shaped. Hard to get to without putting the car up on jack stands. Thanks for your advice, I'll try replacing that first.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X