Need help choosing a trans mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing a trans mount

i have a 98 firebird manual tht has a broken trans mount and im trying to buy one but do i need the hydraulic or solid one? and also which brand im looking at auto zone ? can someone please help me

Re: Need help choosing a trans mount

Go with a poly mount Prothane or whatever you can find ($20)and it will never break again, add poly spacers or rubber ones to correct the driveshaft height and your set. I ran mine in my M5 and A4 had no problems.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

what he said...
      only problem is they dont make a specific mount for our cars so you have to get the universal one. They stock them on the shelf at autozone for like $25.
      But because they are universal, you have to cut a little slot in the cross member (takes like 10 min with a dremel)
      Then what i did was use 2 sway bar end link bushings as spacers so that the vibrations arent near as bad because of the stiffness of the poly mount

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
        what he said...
        only problem is they dont make a specific mount for our cars so you have to get the universal one. They stock them on the shelf at autozone for like $25.
        But because they are universal, you have to cut a little slot in the cross member (takes like 10 min with a dremel)
        Then what i did was use 2 sway bar end link bushings as spacers so that the vibrations arent near as bad because of the stiffness of the poly mount
        thats a really good idea. i was half way though my install of a poly mount and i had to stop because i noticed the heights of the two mounts are different and didnt have any clue on what to do to fix that. so by added the sway bar bushings you kept the stock height? any vibrations at higher speeds?

Comment

well i went to ayutozone and they have a couple some which are hydraulic and some tht are solid with fdiffrent brands? which one?

these are my options
          http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...xt=trans+mount

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
            well i went to ayutozone and they have a couple some which are hydraulic and some tht are solid with fdiffrent brands? which one?

these are my options
            http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...xt=trans+mount
            like i said in your other thread, if you dont want to go with a hydraulic mount, you will have to modify your car

i found this writeup that might help you with your decision: http://www.turbofirebird.com/Default.aspx?tabid=75

Comment

yeah but if i go with a hydraulic mount would i have to do any mods to put back up to stock hieght or is tht just witht the solid mounts which require fabrication? and if i did go with a hydraulic would i still need tyo use bushing to raise the trans regular hieght?

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                yeah but if i go with a hydraulic mount would i have to do any mods to put back up to stock hieght or is tht just witht the solid mounts which require fabrication? and if i did go with a hydraulic would i still need tyo use bushing to raise the trans regular hieght?
                no, the hydraulic mount is a stock replacement, there is no modifications

Comment

Originally posted by silVerSIXf-body View Post
                  thats a really good idea. i was half way though my install of a poly mount and i had to stop because i noticed the heights of the two mounts are different and didnt have any clue on what to do to fix that. so by added the sway bar bushings you kept the stock height? any vibrations at higher speeds?
                  nope

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                  like i said in your other thread, if you dont want to go with a hydraulic mount, you will have to modify your car

i found this writeup that might help you with your decision: http://www.turbofirebird.com/Default.aspx?tabid=75
                  that link sums up everything i said in my first post :D

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

solid..YA MON...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X