I need everyones input on this one please! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need everyones input on this one please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need everyones input on this one please!

i have a 98 firebird manual tht has been having this skeptical isssue for a whikle now when ever i do a burnout it bangs really bad and begins to hop extremly BAD ! so we put it to the test with a buddy who has the same car with same tires and on the same pavment (very smooth) his car did a burnout easily and left 2 straight burnout lines then i did the same thing but as always the car began to hopp and left a bunch of diffrent streaks in a row like it was skidding ? whats going on can it be the gears skipping?
    Last edited by robert; 05-25-2009, 01:15 PM.

Re: I need everyones input on this one please!

you need this
    http://www.lmperformance.com/4168/13.html
    headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
    powerdyne supercharger 6psi
    GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
    Hell yea

Comment

Originally posted by BAD BIRD View Post
      no he doesnt, sounds more like he has a torn tranny mount or torque arm bushing

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

i used to have the same problem so i install that kit and my problems are now long gone
        Hell yea

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
          no he doesnt, sounds more like he has a torn tranny mount or torque arm bushing

i used to have the same problem so i install that kit and my problems are now long gone
          Hell yea

Comment

could be what meatyshells said ^ but we need more details. is your car lowered or have any aftermarket susupension? posi? a ton of miles on your shocks?

badbird has a point tho---i had this problem too when i was first upgrading my suspension/lowering until i got adjustable lca's and relocation brackets with my springs/shocks, she sticks to the pavement now.

it sounds like you have a t5 with 3.23's and an open diff, so you might want to look into some supporting suspension to get those wheels planted, and check for shot bushings.
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
              could be what meatyshells said ^ but we need more details. is your car lowered or have any aftermarket susupension? posi? a ton of miles on your shocks?

badbird has a point tho---i had this problem too when i was first upgrading my suspension/lowering until i got adjustable lca's and relocation brackets with my springs/shocks, she sticks to the pavement now.

it sounds like you have a t5 with 3.23's and an open diff, so you might want to look into some supporting suspension to get those wheels planted, and check for shot bushings.
              Tank you
              Hell yea

Comment

A better rear suspension might be a step in the right direction, but the Hotchkis suspension package is not the proper way to address this. His case sounds like a pretty bad case of wheel hop and possibly more. As mentioned by Meatyshells, check your transmission mount and torque arm.

Second, boxed LCAs are NOT the correct way to solve wheel hop on a street-driven vehicle. Boxed LCAs are made with drag cars in mind. The poly bushings in those would cause too much bind in corners and cause stress on parts that aren't made to handle it. A good way to reduce wheel hop is to buy some Moog hard rubber bushings and have them pressed into the stock LCAs. Hard rubber allows the right amount of deflection and doesn't bind on corners like poly.

Some new shocks and springs could also help with reducing wheel hop, but newer bushings would be the best bang for the buck difference.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

so whats the best thing i can do to the rear suspension that would eliminate the hop ? and affordable guys lol

such as Shocks and springs?
                  any recomendations?

and PACE 2006 thanks for the advice, also one more ? where can i get those harder bushings ? and how hard are they to replace?
                  Last edited by robert; 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM.

Comment

the way he is describing it sounds more like something has broken or torn, rather than the typical wheel hop you get from the stock lca. Is your shifter bouncing at all?
                    I would get under the car look for the parts i said, if they are still god, THEN move on to upgrading stock parts. There's no point in buying after market stuff when the problem is simply an old torn bushing.

If his friend with the same car can do a burnout no problem then obviously something is worn out on his car.
                    Last edited by Meatyshells; 05-25-2009, 04:32 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

the car has 101,000 miles on it and i bought it at 98.000 the guy who i bought it from didnt really do anything to it to take care of it other than just mess it up but the car looks lower than normal from looking at it as if he put diffrent springs maybe but evrything looks original, i was thinking it mioght be better to just go ahead and replace the shocks and everything with better suspension and reduce any hop at all, the only thing is i want to see whats the best, and intermediate upgrade for rear suspension and everything i need?

so this car is defitnaly old and abused but like you said this isnt any regular hop its horrible and very noticable, but i looked under and lifted the car and everything looks tight but the bushings are a worn.

( but could that create that much hop?)

Comment

Thank your robert for creating this thread. I have this same issue. I cant tell what mine does forward because the clutch just slips. But when I cut the wheel to sling her sideways it just hops and barks. Shifter doesnt bounce...

Im guessing shocks for me 170K miles... I wonder if tis has anything to do with my rear end roar!?
                        sigpic
                        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

you see my shifter bounces up and sown like crazy so i was thinking i need a new trans mount as well to add to the rear suspension prob but im guessing thats what making it hop like crazy

Comment

the way he is describing it sounds more like something has broken or torn, rather than the typical wheel hop you get from the stock lca. Is your shifter bouncing at all?
                            I would get under the car look for the parts i said, if they are still god, THEN move on to upgrading stock parts. There's no point in buying after market stuff when the problem is simply an old torn bushing.

If his friend with the same car can do a burnout no problem then obviously something is worn out on his car.
                            :)

Originally posted by robert View Post
                            you see my shifter bounces up and sown like crazy so i was thinking i need a new trans mount as well to add to the rear suspension prob but im guessing thats what making it hop like crazy
                            sounds to me like the heart of your problem is an old/torn tranny mount, like i said

Comment

:)

sounds to me like the heart of your problem is an old/torn tranny mount, like i said

but do you really think the trans mount can make it hop tht much? what else do you recomend with changing the trans mount ? as far as suspension cause the suspension is old and would you recomemned anything from autozone as far as shocks and struts?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X