Guages on 98+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guages on 98+

is there any way in the world to unplug the odometer on these cars with the digital display but where the speedo will still work??? the reason i ask is im about to buy me a new (used) car and i have my suspicions about it. Any info is appreciated! Thanks ;)

You can remove the accessory fuse (i'm not 100% sure if thats one, but I think it is), then the digital display wouldn't show anything, but the gauges will still show you your speed, etc. Hope this helps.

EDIT: even though the fuse is removed, it will still count the mileage, it just won't display it...

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Camaro3.8L ]</p>
    1998 Arctic White Camaro<br />3.8L V6 M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series with 3\" tips<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N<br />Flowtech Cutout<br />Free-Ram Air Mod<br />Blue Underbody Neon Kit<br />3 MTX 6000 10\" Subs<br />Rockford 800a2 Amp<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/jeep327\" target=\"_blank\">My Camaro</a>

Comment

so even if the fuse was out, or it was unhooked it would still count the miles??? what actually keeps record of the miles, the PCM???

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: maroguy34 ]</p>

Comment

Pulling the fuse (If that even works) still wouldn't prevent the computer from keeping track of the milage. the only way to do that would be to disconnect the speed sensor. My speedometer and tach went out at 12,000 miles, drove the car for another month before I got around to fixin it, and when the dealer replaced it, it showed just over 13,400 miles.
        2000 Firebird M5<br />Ghetto lid<br />Lost the air silencer, told the wife \"Gee honey, must of fallen off somewhere\"<br />K&N filter<br />Dynomax cat back<br />Tinted windows<p>In stock but not installed yet:<br />SLP ram air hood<br />RK Sport headers<p>\"You want how much for that . .?\"

Comment

Yes you can stop it from counting miles. If you pull the guage fuse in the fuse box it shuts off the odometer. It also shuts off all the guages but still allows you to use your cruise control. Another posibility is to just unplug the odometer from the guage cluster. O and the computer doesn't keep track of miles.
          2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>O and the computer doesn't keep track of miles. <hr></blockquote>

If this is true, then why, after my speedo and tach went out (along with my odometer), did my my odometer read 13,400 after replacement when it read just over 12,000 before it went out? . . Seems to me that the computer would have to keep track of this, unless . . . . (Theme from the twi-light zone). :cool:
            2000 Firebird M5<br />Ghetto lid<br />Lost the air silencer, told the wife \"Gee honey, must of fallen off somewhere\"<br />K&N filter<br />Dynomax cat back<br />Tinted windows<p>In stock but not installed yet:<br />SLP ram air hood<br />RK Sport headers<p>\"You want how much for that . .?\"

Comment

accroding to the 99 factory manual, the pcm does register the odometer value. vehicle speed is determined by the vss (veh speed sensor) located on trans housing. vss signal is used (among other things) for speedometer operation and odometer operation. even if you compeltely remove cluster, pcm will keep track of miles.
              if pcm does not receive input from vss, pcm will set dtc and the car will run like absolute dookie. especially at higher speeds, if it even runs at all. so unplugging the vss will not work. there is really no way to "roll back" the odometers on these vehicles. that went out with OBD-I and GM's old CCC system.
              ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

The Mileage data is stored in the PCM and reported from the PCM. The only way to keep a DITIGITAL mileage gauge from counting is to somehow keep the PCM from recording it. I assume that would cause all kinds of problems... Surely there's some kind of failsafe for that.

-Brian
                Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X