Gatt's stupid question for this month - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gatt's stupid question for this month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatt's stupid question for this month

Hey all,

My engine's coming up on 107k miles. I'd like to keep this car as long as possible, and I'm thinking about longevity, but I honestly am still knowledge-limited.

What does an engine rebuild buy me? Will it last longer? I am planning to do a cam, along with the heads and intakes this year. Would doing the pistons, and having the block bored do anything for me? Is there something else I should be considering doing?

In short, what can I do to keep this engine running well and for a long time?

Re: Gatt's stupid question for this month

I don't think an engine rebuild will "buy" you anything but you can certainly buy a rebuilt engine...Seriously though, if it were my engine, I would just drive it until there was a definitive need to rebuild it or wait until your Pittsburgh winter as summer is a bad time to be without your hotrod.

In the mean time, change all fluids and give it a tune up.

If you are flush with cash then do whatever you want whenever you want...

Comment

If you want to mod it to improve performance, that's fine. But just to rebuild it when it's runnig fine would be a waste of time and money. These engines can go easily over 200K if taken care of. Just drive it and take care of it, and keep those fluids changed. That's the single most important thing you can do.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Soo.. Are you looking for longevity or power? The point is, the more you mod, the more that can go wrong. Especially with someone with limited knowledge on the subject.

My advice would be to learn about all that you've mentioned along with the rest of the engine and components till you're at the point where you could answer someone's question that would be the same as the one you have here. And then go ahead and mod it.

You wouldn't try to disarm a bomb if you didn't know how it works right?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

X2 to all the above.

Comment

thats is a pickel. does it have any problems now. major?
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Thank you all!

I have been researching here and elsewhere the various parts, mods, and end results. I haven't found alot on longevity in relation to doing the piston heads and such, that's why I asked.

Part of the motivation is that I'm getting feedback from some people who demonstrate experience and understanding with engine internals that doesn't sound right. Specifically, I was speaking with a friend who has a very built up Z28, and works for a machine shop. In discussing the top-end stuff I wish to do, and looking into if I should have him do the work, he told me that if I did all the top-end stuff I'd end up blowing out the bottom end without doing pistons and such. Which seems wrong to me, mainly because I see a bunch of people here who don't seem to have touched the bottom end.

As far as the condition of my engine goes...It's in very good shape IMO. I have a persistant hesitation, but I think that's related to my throttle body. I have a intermittently stuck lifter, but I still have very significant power. No knocks, no tapping other than the lifter.

I do stick to religious changing of fluids, especially after having started studying here.

Thank you all again for your responses!

Comment

i cant really answer your question since i dont know much about the v6 engines and what parts they use stock

if they used forged cranks and rods, i think your bottom end would be good, i would NEVER use anything other than forged pistons, the cast ones are crap and they break so easily, same with the hypereutectic pistons one misfire/detonation and it can bust it up into small pieces.

the reason nobody really builds the bottom end on these cars is because its very hard and expensive to build a v6 that has the power and rpm to actually bust something

i doubt your engine will need to be bored out, overboring should only be used to clean up a very work cylinder wall, not for more performance as you will not see a very significant gain

BTW, what machine shop does your friend work at? i have been looking for a place to do both of my blocks

Comment

From what I've always read on here, the bottom ends are pretty strong and don't give you problems unless you experience detonation or oil starvation. Other than that they are pretty bulletproof. The top end is what needs help as far as improving the breathing. So, working the heads is probably the best thing to do if you want more performance without having to do stuff to the bottom end. As long as you stay N/A there is probably no reason to mess with the bottom end.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    i cant really answer your question since i dont know much about the v6 engines and what parts they use stock

i doubt your engine will need to be bored out, overboring should only be used to clean up a very work cylinder wall, not for more performance as you will not see a very significant gain
                    Seems funny to me.^^

BTW, I believe even still no one has broken the stock crank. As for as piston choices go, I couldn't tell ya but as far as boring the block, I know that every little bit helps.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      Seems funny to me.^^

BTW, I believe even still no one has broken the stock crank. As for as piston choices go, I couldn't tell ya but as far as boring the block, I know that every little bit helps.
                      im just saying that the $350+ price tag to get the block bored out isnt worth the 10 extra HP you will get from it

our blocks cant really be bored out much anyways, from what i see, its around .030" max

if the cylinder walls are bad/worn/scratched then i would recommend getting either a .010 overbore with a good hone, the bigger the bore, the weaker the block will be

Comment

It costs a lot to go fast. And every little bit helps. How much HP would anyone really pick up from a whisper airlid? HP to cost ratio and boring a block might win. Whateva you say though.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X