What is this part called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this part called?

Ok so I took some pictures because I heard a leak start up about 2 days ago. I noticed it was coming out of this area and the gasket that was there pretty much broke apart in my hand when I took it out. That and the catalytic converter was red hot one night and the SES light is on. blah blah. So yes help this n00b find out what the heck this is.

Re: What is this part called?

egr piping...

Comment

Your cat was glowing red?

Youve got to replace it then... Its clogged. Couldve caused your leaking issue...
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

cats clogged. you'll probably need to replace the ERG also. careful with that flimsy *** hose that runs from it, it'll break if you move it wrong.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

These guys are right, your cat is either blown or about to be blown. You may also be running rich. Do you hear any pinging or rattling when you drive? That piece is the EGR inlet tube. It sucks exhaust back through and deposits it, I think in the intake manifold. So it'd make since why the gasket fell apart in your hand. If the cat is clogged the exhaust has to go somewhere. Back up your headers/ehxhaust mainfold and out any hole it can find. That being your leaky sound. I suggest you go have your codes pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
            These guys are right, your cat is either blown or about to be blown. You may also be running rich. Do you hear any pinging or rattling when you drive? That piece is the EGR inlet tube. It sucks exhaust back through and deposits it, I think in the intake manifold. So it'd make since why the gasket fell apart in your hand. If the cat is clogged the exhaust has to go somewhere. Back up your headers/ehxhaust mainfold and out any hole it can find. That being your leaky sound. I suggest you go have your codes pulled.
            My car rattles (thought it was exhaust) and has the CAT O2 code... Could my car be running rich and causing the CAT code to go off?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
              My car rattles (thought it was exhaust) and has the CAT O2 code... Could my car be running rich and causing the CAT code to go off?
              A rattling cat and code typically means your cat is clogged or going bad. Running too rich will cause the cat to go bad, but the only way to fix that is replacing it or gutting it out and deleting the code.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                A rattling cat and code typically means your cat is clogged or going bad. Running too rich will cause the cat to go bad, but the only way to fix that is replacing it or gutting it out and deleting the code.
                I dont think its the CAT rattling. Ive tapped and hit it and it made no noise, I only hear it when the engine boggs down (need to drop a gear or not enough gas taking off in first) or when Im really getting on the gas...
                sigpic

Comment

I dont think its the CAT rattling. Ive tapped and hit it and it made no noise, I only hear it when the engine boggs down (need to drop a gear or not enough gas taking off in first) or when Im really getting on the gas...
                  yup, mine does the same thing

its either the y pipe, or the driveshaft tunnel brace

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    yup, mine does the same thing

its either the y pipe, or the driveshaft tunnel brace
                    I thought yours ended up being one of the tips one your muffler before it blew a hole?

Either way, you still have a code saying that your cat isn't functioning properly. I would get this checked out.
                    Last edited by pace2006; 05-23-2009, 05:43 PM.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Yah I checked around seems like I need to call the dealer to get that damn gasket.

I only noticed it glowing red when that gasket fell apart. I dont hear any rattling and i've tapped on it a few times. The cat is only 1 year old it was installed with the entire exhaust system.

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy98 View Post
                        Yah I checked around seems like I need to call the dealer to get that damn gasket.

I only noticed it glowing red when that gasket fell apart. I dont hear any rattling and i've tapped on it a few times. The cat is only 1 year old it was installed with the entire exhaust system.
                        You can get some RTV and carefully use it in place of a gasket. It can be messy if you get careless, but if done right should seal.

My catalytic converter didn't rattle when it went bad. It didn't even throw a code. The only way I knew it was bad was because the car was considerably sluggish under load and didn't want to accelerate past a certain rpm. Other than a glowing red cat, one way that you could probably tell is to start the car and try to feel how much exhaust is moving through the muffler and out the tips.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I can probably get a good idea if the cat would be the problem after I seal up that hose.

Im not driving the car anymore and I only noticed it glow red one night

EDIT: would the leak at that gasket cause the car to run rich?
                          Last edited by Cammy98; 05-23-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X