Oil question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil question...

Ok, I pretty much have the same problem as another thread I just read. Pretty much what I got from it is that my main bearings are going or my oil pickup is loose causing air to **** with oil pressure. Also I will manual gauge it to make sure it's not my sending unit.

#1 How hard is it to drop an oil pan? Doesn't seem like rocket science, but I want to get opinions on how to do it or reactions like "don't do it, it's a nightmare". So I can judge if I want to pull the wallet out for this one or not.

#2 How hard is it to replace main bearings. Do I remove the crankshaft to do it? Sorry never seen the underbelly of my beast.

#3 Polishing the crankshaft, does this improve performance any? I would assume it would, if so anyone know any numbers? (yes I know all cars are different and different mods would help increase other mods) What I'm looking for though is like 1-2hp or 3-4hp or nothing at all.

#4 If all else fails and I have to do the oil pump, how hard is it to do? I read it's around the camshaft, is this true? Was quoted a while back $400 for just labor, does that sound right? I sure I have to go at it from the front of the engine. I need to know so if it is a pain then I want to wait until I can just get a cam so that I do all of it at once. If it's not a pain I'll just do them at separate times.

#5 I read all over the place people putting lower weight oil in the car for the winter and normal or thicker for summer. Does this really help? I am asking cause the "Oreilly's" guys do not highly recommend it. I get the whole "thinner" for winter and "thicker" for summer, but does it really help all that? Where do you draw the line?

and this now ends my thesis, please post all answers below in an orderly fashion... :rolleyes:

- Peace

Re: Oil question...

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
    Ok, I pretty much have the same problem as another thread I just read. Pretty much what I got from it is that my main bearings are going or my oil pickup is loose causing air to **** with oil pressure. Also I will manual gauge it to make sure it's not my sending unit.

#1 How hard is it to drop an oil pan? Doesn't seem like rocket science, but I want to get opinions on how to do it or reactions like "don't do it, it's a nightmare". So I can judge if I want to pull the wallet out for this one or not.it's the biggest pita but it's doable. i've done it a few times. your gonna have to lift you engine up a some to get the oil one out.

#2 How hard is it to replace main bearings. Do I remove the crankshaft to do it? Sorry never seen the underbelly of my beast.nope
    #3 Polishing the crankshaft, does this improve performance any? I would assume it would, if so anyone know any numbers? (yes I know all cars are different and different mods would help increase other mods) What I'm looking for though is like 1-2hp or 3-4hp or nothing at all.not sure but i doubt it would would be worth the money

#4 If all else fails and I have to do the oil pump, how hard is it to do? I read it's around the camshaft, is this true? Was quoted a while back $400 for just labor, does that sound right? I sure I have to go at it from the front of the engine. I need to know so if it is a pain then I want to wait until I can just get a cam so that I do all of it at once. If it's not a pain I'll just do them at separate times. doable with the engine still in...but a ton easier with the engine out

#5 I read all over the place people putting lower weight oil in the car for the winter and normal or thicker for summer. Does this really help? I am asking cause the "Oreilly's" guys do not highly recommend it. I get the whole "thinner" for winter and "thicker" for summer, but does it really help all that? Where do you draw the line? i can see how some people do it. but since my camaro isn't the daily driver and barly ever comes out, (never in the in the winter) i leave 10 x 30 all year. not worth the worries

and this now ends my thesis, please post all answers below in an orderly fashion... :rolleyes:

- Peace
    in the end....pull the engine to work on it....it would be a ton easier
    Last edited by kristen; 05-19-2009, 06:08 AM.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I just use 10w30 all the time and have never had any problems. It's what GM recommends, and since they designed and built the engine, I'd say they know what they're talking about. Lots of people run 5w30, but I don't understand why, when 10w30 is recommended and works fine. I also use Mobil1.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

to replace main bearings you have to have the engine out of the car and take the crank out.

polishing the crankshaft is used when you have a spun bearing, or the crank journals arent clean, it is only used to clean the crank journal up, not for any type of performance. you will also have to use oversized bearings after polishing.

there is no need to change the oil in the winter/summer thats why we have oil that is in a sense two different viscosities

Comment

Really this is all the love I get? Consensus is remove the engine? Wow, this sounds like a job for my wallet...either that buy another daily driver and park this car to do repairs and upgrades.

Comment

I switched to RP 20W50 about a year ago , It does alot better in AZ, higher oil PSI in the hot summer and I will need it for my turbo.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

buy another daily driver... it's always fun to have a beater around... lol
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X