how do you clean oxidation off your engine? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you clean oxidation off your engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you clean oxidation off your engine?

I have a 98 firebird which was not driven for a long time and was just sitting there for years so the engine became oxidized leaving it hard to clean. so im currently stuck trying to clean the engine and i have used alot of products but nothing helps.

please give advice

thank you

Re: how do you clean oxidation off your engine?

Originally posted by robert View Post
    I have a 98 firebird which was not driven for a long time and was just sitting there for years so the engine became oxidized leaving it hard to clean. so im currently stuck trying to clean the engine and i have used alot of products but nothing helps.

please give advice

thank you
    toothbrush...and brake cleaner or engine degreaser?

Comment

sand it
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Speaking of sanding, I wonder if a steel wool pad would work. You'd just have to be careful around the alternator, to make sure no pieces of steel wool get in there.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I know this kind of sounds stupid...but the gunk on the engine is oil, coolant and debris...which I'm sure would react to heat right? unless it's cooked on there I guess, but wouldn't it make it easier to let it run for a good 15 minutes, cut it off and try cleaning it then, so you and your cleaner of choice can work more efficiently with the heat.

Comment

I believe he was talking about that white powdery substance that forms on the aluminum parts. If it's dirt and gunk that's on there, You can take it to a car wash and hit it with the power washer. Just have the engine running while you do this, and try to keep the water away from the alternator. Everything else is sealed so water won't hurt it.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Wouldn't the white **** be dried cooked on radiator fluid? I see that around my connections on my cooling system. Never seen it on my engine, that I know of. Sure I'm going to go home now and pop the hood and start seeing it everywhere. :slap: there needs to be a single smiley smacking his own head to signify "doh".

Comment

No, this white stuff I'm talking about is only on the cast aluminum parts, predominantly the upper intake and the alternator. I know aluminum oxidizes harmlessly, though it looks kinda cruddy. I know what you mean about the stuff at the cooling system connections.... this is different though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X