Jet chip useless in heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet chip useless in heat?

Alright, I discovered something bizarre at the AIS last weekend.

I was running on good 94 octane fuel, 160 degree stat but the ambient temperature was up there and after sitting in the staging lane I was way up there at close to 190 operating temp.

The best I could muster was a 15.48 (sorry, no trap speed, I threw the timeslips out, but the 60' was almost identical between all my runs).

After running several more 15.4s and a few 15.5s I started to get a little angry and I yanked the Jet chip thinking perhaps something was wrong. 5 minutes later I ran a 15.32 with the same 60' as my previous runs.

I talked to Stefan and a few others a little bit about it, and most people agree that with the heat, engine temp, and chip its quite possible that the timing is being advanced to the point where the knock sensor is then again retarding it back down below stock.

I don't have an autotap so this is all conjecture.

I do know that last october at the track, at night, in the cool air, just popping the jet module on the PCM (not even waiting for it to re-learn) yielded me .2+ consistently in the 1/4.

Does this make sense? And if so, is anyone else seeing good gains with the chip in cold weather and no gains or negative gains in the heat?

You need a fan switch. No question about it -- fan switch, fan switch, fanswitch. I just put one in -- easy as pie. 2 pre-mounted, pre-resistored LEDs (green, red), and a DPDT mini center-off toggle switch from radio shack. 2 wires from the fan relays in the engine compartment, grounded and +'d to the cig lighter. Done.

Stat cools you when you're moving, fans cool you when you're not. Put that Jet Chip back in, and invest $9 in fan switch parts.

-Rob
    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

i agree the fan switch is a good mod.i get crap for it but all that is is fan envy [img]tongue.gif[/img] it is a huge help to turn the fans on and watch your car stay at 180 or so on hot days..and then the benefits at the track are awesome..a cool motor is better..

get a fan switch...i recommend the SLP Fan Switch its easy to install and wont throw codes or anything like that..computer wont think twice and you dont run the risk of your car being set on fire due to faulty wiring..

Jeff W :D

Comment

BTW, i kept my car (accuracy with my autometer gauge) to 160* with the fan switch all day long (when desirable, when not I was around 185ish) at the Autocross. Flip it on low when waiting in line, grid, etc ... off for the run ... back on as I pull in ... Doesn't do much for 360's though
        -Rob

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X