Need help locating a coolant leak on 3.4 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help locating a coolant leak on 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help locating a coolant leak on 3.4

Hey guys. I am chasing a coolant leak. Before I tear it down, I wanted to see if anyone had an idea where this was coming from. At first I thought it was a freeze plug next to the water pump, but it appears the leak is coming from ABOVE the freeze plug. I cant see where because the accessory bracket and altenator are in the way. Any ideas? here's some pics..

Re: Need help locating a coolant leak on 3.4

This is unlikely, but it looks like it might be coming from your timing cover, or most likely - from your intake manifold water passage and running down the front of the engine. If I remember correctly, this is a common problem.
    Oh, the heater hose runs somewhere around there too. If this is a mulitport injection, the heater hose comes off the front of the manifold and runs through that accessory bracket. Might want to check that. I've seen pinholes in hoses that spray a good distance and confuse you as to where the juice is coming from.
    More qestions than answers - sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
      This is unlikely, but it looks like it might be coming from your timing cover, or most likely - from your intake manifold water passage and running down the front of the engine. If I remember correctly, this is a common problem.
      Oh, the heater hose runs somewhere around there too. If this is a mulitport injection, the heater hose comes off the front of the manifold and runs through that accessory bracket. Might want to check that. I've seen pinholes in hoses that spray a good distance and confuse you as to where the juice is coming from.
      More qestions than answers - sorry.
      Well I rented a radiator pressure tester lastnight and pumped the system to 19psi and couldnt see a hose spraying anywhere. Manifold or timing cover are something I need to look into. Ive ruled out the hoses. I wish it was a hose..Those are easy to fix. :cry:

Comment

Am I seeing things or is that a crack on top of the water pump housing?
        It might just be a casting seam.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
          :omg: Good eye! Ill check that out at lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
            Whew.. no crack, its a seam. And its not the intake, the leak starts lower than that..
            Last edited by shaguar_red; 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

i'm guessing heater hose connection into the LIM. the plastic ring inside gets fudged up pretty quickly. i bet it's dripping down the front of your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                i'm guessing heater hose connection into the LIM. the plastic ring inside gets fudged up pretty quickly. i bet it's dripping down the front of your engine.
                Yea thats what I was thinkin, i saw a lil green up there. How do you fix it?Does that pipe pull right out?

Comment

there is ONE bolt below the metal pipe holding it on. you can probably pull and wiggle it out, but it will be stuck in there good. I ordered a new pipe from gm partsdirect. it came with a plastic o ring in it and i haven't had any leaking problems yet.

Comment

As I remember, that pipe is a PIA to remove. I don't remember what the seal is - a neoprene o ring on the plastic clip? Team Guinea is probably right. New hose from GM will fix problem.
                    What I usually do - go to the local high pressure hand car wash, wash the poo out of the front of the engine, then pull out in daylight and look for the leak. You usually can see the approximate area pretty quick, or exactly where it's coming from.
                    Good luck. Post the results when you figure it out. :tup:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      2 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X