Coolant leaking out the bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leaking out the bottom

Today I noticed my coolant is leaking out the bottom of my car pretty quickly. My dad and I looked under the car and it seems to be leaking from a rubber stop that has a clamp around it. It is located on the bottom of the radiator (I think) and is on the driver's side next to the shroud in the front. Can anyone tell me what the name of this part is so I can replace it? It is just a rubber stopper type thing, we tried tightening the clamp but it didn't stop the problem. My dad said the rubber was cracked anyways, so I hope its a quick fix. All I need is the name of the part so I can pick it up somewhere... Is it a drain plug?
    <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Re: Coolant leaking out the bottom

pic!!!
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

not sure. the drain and low coolant sensor are both on the pass side. Grab a picture
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

It's going to be hard to get a picture because I don't have a jack at my house and I won't be back out to my parents until this weekend. Anyone else able to help me out and snap a pic for me?
        <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

No low coolant sensor on 96's , Sounds like the lower radiator hose since he said it has a clamp on it. That would be my gusss or the plastic end tank on the radiator has a leak and is running down.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The lower hose looks like it goes to the passenger side of the radiator.

This is the best picture I can get, taken with my cell phone just reaching under the car and guessing. You can see the little clamp but not much else.

Comment

The lower raditor hose is suppose to go to the engine, it is the return hose from the engine. The upper radiator hose feeds the motor and the lower hose is the return from the engine to go back into the radiator to cool.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah I know I meant the lower hose comes from the engine and goes to the passenger side of the radiator. So I don't think that is what is leaking, this part is just a rubber grommet that looks like it simply stops coolant from coming out another hole.

Comment

Oh your a manual, you probably have a radiator with tranny line connectors and they are leaking inside the radiator and coming out the lower opening. Is there another one above it about 8-12 inches?

Comment

Can't tell whats around it. I took my airbox out and took a pic from above, can barely see it but I circled it in the picture. The line points towards the front of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Oh your a manual, you probably have a radiator with tranny line connectors and they are leaking inside the radiator and coming out the lower opening. Is there another one above it about 8-12 inches?
                      both tranny lines are on the pass side
                      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                      1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

I've got a 95 but that pic looks like where a radiator draincock would be. do you have a flashlight or can you find someone who can take a better picture?

Comment

From what I can see... it almost looks like someone put a later rad in and plugged a sensor hole or something. Not a stock clamp and definately not a stock looking plug. Does anyone see a hex at the end of the plug/clamp?
                          Probably an easy fix if you can get it in the air a little. You'll have to drain the rad, but that's not a big deal. Probably a good idea to flush the anti freeze at the same time if you haven't done it. Auto zone etc sells large plugs to cap off 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, inch outlets. Also, buy a nicer clamp. The one in the pic looks like it should be in the garbage. 50/50 mix on the antifreeze. The drain petcock is usually a smaller size than what's in the pic, yes? Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Rs View Post
                            both tranny lines are on the pass side
                            I got confused , I over looked the petcock thing, I would just replace the hose about $15 and you might lose a little coolant in the swap. easy to do though. Those are the types of clamps I have on my 96' the push and flex kind , still going over 13 years. There not that bad but can be a pain when they are at the wrong angle.
                            Last edited by ssms5411; 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM.

Comment

i have a 97 radiator if you are interested. $65 plus ship
                              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                              1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X