Removing AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing AC

My AC doesn't work. Instead of fixing it, I read that removing all of it will decrease the weight of the car by like 100 lbs. Is this true? Statemnt made on SLP website and they sell a firewall cover plate once the thing is removed.
    2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

Re: Removing AC

Don't think a 100lbs maybe 50-60lbs at the most. Look in the drag racing website , link to Brent Frankers reduction website then add up all the componets.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i took mine out. deff not 100 lbs. 60 tops. but know if you put that plate on...your going to lose your heat too. i sure as he!l wasn't gonna spend all that money for that plate. i just made my own.

also. know that getting that box out is freaking wicked
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
        i took mine out. deff not 100 lbs. 60 tops. but know if you put that plate on...your going to lose your heat too. i sure as he!l wasn't gonna spend all that money for that plate. i just made my own.

also. know that getting that box out is freaking wicked
        which plate and why would you loose heat?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

with the plate that he's looking at there is no way to put the heater hoses threw the fire wall.

but even if....when you take that black box out, that is what hold the heater core and air cir system.
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

u live in sc and ur not going to get it fixed???
            come july-sept ull be wondering y u didnt just get it fixed :bowdown:

Comment

It would be like me running no A/C in AZ which I think you would dehydrate yourself within 30 minutes of driving.LOL Depending whats wrong with the A/C it can't be too bad to fix it back up to running condtion.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

only reason why i took mine out is because shes not my daily driver
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

AC in cool air blowing in your face in the middle of summer nothing like it I say fix it. Add some nitrous or something to compensate for the weight of having it.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Firebird34 View Post
                    AC in cool air blowing in your face in the middle of summer nothing like it I say fix it. Add some nitrous or something to compensate for the weight of having it.
                    i agree, there is really no use to remove it unless you run the car at the track and really need to be doing extensive weight reduction

leaving the compressor in puts a very small load on the engine (i mean, a mouse could spin it with no problems) when not in use

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X