Questions from the $450 wire/plug/fuel filter thread... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions from the $450 wire/plug/fuel filter thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from the $450 wire/plug/fuel filter thread...

First of all, sad day :( Now the firebird REALLY isn't coming back.

I finally got the chance to jack up the car this past weekend to change out plugs + wires. If you haven't read my earlier post, I was having misfiring in cylinder 6, and the shop wanted $450.

Question #1 - where's the jack contact area for the firebird? I started right behind the front wheel. But then I saw the "Do not jack here" by the side. I decided to go further in to the metal which I assume is the frame. But I didn't see any thin line or edge that would go into the notch on the jack stands. I ended up taking out the extension on the jack stands.

Question #2 - how much crap do you need to take out to reach the plugs?! We ended up only changing the first plug on the passenger side from the engine compartment. The guy at Advanced Auto gave me the wrong plugs. I got suspicious when the length didn't match the old plug. By the time I got the right parts, it was almost 10 pm. But yeah, there's really no space even coming in from underneath. Hayne's manual wasn't much help in that department. And then there's the wires...

Question #3 - gas smell, car running too rich? O2 sensor might be behind misfiring? My car's always had a slightly noticeable gasoline smell, stronger especially from cold starts. It gets great mileage so I haven't looked into it. I'll look through Haynes on O2 tonight, but I'd appreciate any input from you all.
    Last edited by lostatlantis; 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM. Reason: new info
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Re: Questions from the $450 wire/plug/fuel filter thread...

Question #1 - where's the jack contact area for the firebird? I started right behind the front wheel. But then I saw the "Do not jack here" by the side. I decided to go further in to the metal which I assume is the frame. But I didn't see any thin line or edge that would go into the notch on the jack stands. I ended up taking out the extension on the jack stands.
    That label just means don't place jack on the plastic piece. anywhere on the metal frame should be fine.
    Leonard
    www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lostatlantis View Post
      First of all, sad day :( Now the firebird REALLY isn't coming back.

I finally got the chance to jack up the car this past weekend to change out plugs + wires. If you haven't read my earlier post, I was having misfiring in cylinder 6, and the shop wanted $450.

Question #2 - how much crap do you need to take out to reach the plugs?! We ended up only changing the first plug on the passenger side from the engine compartment. The guy at Advanced Auto gave me the wrong plugs. I got suspicious when the length didn't match the old plug. By the time I got the right parts, it was almost 10 pm. But yeah, there's really no space even coming in from underneath. Hayne's manual wasn't much help in that department. And then there's the wires...

Question #3 - gas smell, car running too rich? O2 sensor might be behind misfiring? My car's always had a slightly noticeable gasoline smell, stronger especially from cold starts. It gets great mileage so I haven't looked into it. I'll look through Haynes on O2 tonight, but I'd appreciate any input from you all.
      1. anywhere, i usually jack it up on the "frame" piece you are describing

2. i dont recall having to remove anything to replace my plugs/wires other than the plugs and wires themselves

3. gas smell from the engine? from the exhaust? inside the passenger compartment?

you will know if it is running to rich when you pull the plugs, fuel smell around the engine bay probably means you have a fuel leak somewhere, and if it is smelling in the passenger compartment, its most likely the evap cannister

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
        1. anywhere, i usually jack it up on the "frame" piece you are describing

2. i dont recall having to remove anything to replace my plugs/wires other than the plugs and wires themselves

3. gas smell from the engine? from the exhaust? inside the passenger compartment?

you will know if it is running to rich when you pull the plugs, fuel smell around the engine bay probably means you have a fuel leak somewhere, and if it is smelling in the passenger compartment, its most likely the evap cannister
        Mind if I ask how you reached the plugs? From what I could see under the car, it was a really tight fit just trying to get my knuckle in there. But it might also be a rookie assumption.

The gas smell is from the exhaust. You can only smell it inside the car if the vent/window is open. No fuel smell in the engine bay, before or after I replaced that one plug.
        \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

I always go to the K frame. Directly in the middle of the car. I usually use my back to raise the car up a bit so the jack will slide to it. Granted, you need decent aim, but it's worked for me time after time and gets both wheels up.....$450!!?? Usual price of my wires is around $60, Plugs around $40ish and all three coils about $90. They actually wanted $250 to put it all in? Sheesh! Glad I do my own.

Comment

I agree with Steddy. Jack it up from the K-member for the front, and I've used the differential as my jacking point in the back. However I have not a situation yet, though, where I have had to allow the wheels to hang. I only had to jack up the back once to take a wheel off.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by steddy View Post
              I always go to the K frame. Directly in the middle of the car. I usually use my back to raise the car up a bit so the jack will slide to it. Granted, you need decent aim, but it's worked for me time after time and gets both wheels up.....$450!!?? Usual price of my wires is around $60, Plugs around $40ish and all three coils about $90. They actually wanted $250 to put it all in? Sheesh! Glad I do my own.
              K frame... are you talking about the part of the frame where the front of the car is pointed to the left of the "K"? I jacked the up the car on side at a time, then put in the jack stand. No problem doing it that way, correct?

No coils included. It was $300 for 3.5 hours of labor, $150 for "top quality OEM" plugs/wires/fuel filter. I was trying to resolve engine misfiring.

Comment

seeing that your car is a 96, it is going to be a major pain to get to the plugs. you have the log style manifolds with heat shields everywhere. a friend of mine had a 99 that he took to a shop for plugs and wires and they charged him upwards of $400 for that. You are going to have to take your time and be patient with the plugs so you done break any off. good luck

Comment

K frame... are you talking about the part of the frame where the front of the car is pointed to the left of the "K"? I jacked the up the car on side at a time, then put in the jack stand. No problem doing it that way, correct?

No coils included. It was $300 for 3.5 hours of labor, $150 for "top quality OEM" plugs/wires/fuel filter. I was trying to resolve engine misfiring.
                  This sounds exactly like my experience just 2 weeks ago. Are you 100% certain it's only cylinder 6 misfiring? Are you sure this is not a coil or a ICM? Did you do the spark plug test? (take a spark plug wire and spark plug and start car and do this on both points of every coil pack). The plugs aren't that hard to do all you have to do is relax and close your eyes and let your hands guide you (yes it is a tight fit, but not impossible, also the right tool helps). Also it wouldn't hurt if you had a shop light too...

Comment

Mind if I ask how you reached the plugs? From what I could see under the car, it was a really tight fit just trying to get my knuckle in there. But it might also be a rookie assumption.

The gas smell is from the exhaust. You can only smell it inside the car if the vent/window is open. No fuel smell in the engine bay, before or after I replaced that one plug.
                    swivel adapters and small/medium extensions work wonders

you just have to get in there and try to reach them by using different combo's of tools

Comment

Would an O2 sensor be the cause of all this? Where is it located, next to the throttle body?

Comment

holy **** everytime i jack up my car i do it form the small plactic aquare thats there hahahahaha good think im still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by michael454rs@hotmail.com View Post
                          holy **** everytime i jack up my car i do it form the small plactic aquare thats there hahahahaha good think im still alive.
                          Oh dear god, how ARE you still alive?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X