N/A Build done... Blew head gaskets already! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N/A Build done... Blew head gaskets already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N/A Build done... Blew head gaskets already!

Hey guys.

I've been quiet for a while, that's because I've been doing step 1 of the build. It's a 96 camaro. I tore the motor basically down to the block did p&p heads and intakes, GTP injectors, ZZP xp cam, rollermaster timing chain, comp 105#, retainers, viton valve seals, pacesetters, all that happy stuff.

Anyway, finally got the car running correctly and drove it less than 100 miles before I started seeing signs of a blown head gasket. I have white smoke in the tailpipe, milkshake oil, and less coolant in the radiator. I plan on replacing the head gaskets (GRR!) the question is what did I mess up? I used fel-pro head gaskets that I got from NAPA and fel-pro head bolts. Torqued everything to factory spec, chased the bolt holes, cleaned the block/head surfaces very well. Now what the heck did I do wrong? Thanks a lot in advance guys, and when this is figured out I'll post pics and sound clips. Sounded mean before this...

Re: N/A Build done... Blew head gaskets already!

did you use a 2 or 3 step torquing process to make sure the head is completely flat?

felpro makes good gaskets, but you may have gotten a bad one (unless both are somehow bad)

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
      did you use a 2 or 3 step torquing process to make sure the head is completely flat?

felpro makes good gaskets, but you may have gotten a bad one (unless both are somehow bad)
      Yep, I used the torque specs in the haynes manual. I used a torque wrench and then turned them an additional however many degrees. I tightened criss cross center to outside also.

*Also, I remembered that on one side I had a locating pin stuck in the head and one still in the block (I had a different set of heads ported) and I nicked that head gasket a little during install. I figured compressing the head gasket would seal the small nick. Is it possible that this weakened the gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by redcamaro1996 View Post
        Yep, I used the torque specs in the haynes manual. I used a torque wrench and then turned them an additional however many degrees. I tightened criss cross center to outside also.

*Also, I remembered that on one side I had a locating pin stuck in the head and one still in the block (I had a different set of heads ported) and I nicked that head gasket a little during install. I figured compressing the head gasket would seal the small nick. Is it possible that this weakened the gasket?
        what started the rebuild? might want to machine your heads of any perfections, you might have a warped head...

Comment

Is there any chance that this could be an intake gasket issue rather then a head gasket issue?

Comment

I don't think so, he says he has milkshake looking oil...and if I recall the intake doesn't take oil or coolant in...

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
              I don't think so, he says he has milkshake looking oil...and if I recall the intake doesn't take oil or coolant in...
              the intake should take coolant, not oil, but their is oil directly below the intake, it is possible for coolant to get into the oil from a bad intake gasket

Comment

I always have the heads milled .010 for a rebuild, esp. the 98 and below heads, becuase of their imperfections and strenght. My first rebuild I had a valve guide brake compleltly off after the rebuild about 100 miles or so. It just smoked like crazy no coolant in oil or anything. So now I have spare set of 02' heads milled and 3 angle valve job, SI valves and MLS head gaskets & copper spray to go on if my heads take a dump. Sorry to hear about your car did you having the timing setup right degrees the cam to spec?
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The heads were machined down with the port and polish. Not to mention that it ran perfectly for 100 miles previous. A warped head would have shown up right away, right?

I hate to ask this question, but, if I have a cracked block/head could I tell the difference in symptoms from a blown gasket? I'll start ripping it apart tomorrow and hopefully learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    I always have the heads milled .010 for a rebuild, esp. the 98 and below heads, becuase of their imperfections and strenght. My first rebuild I had a valve guide brake compleltly off after the rebuild about 100 miles or so. It just smoked like crazy no coolant in oil or anything. So now I have spare set of 02' heads milled and 3 angle valve job, SI valves and MLS head gaskets & copper spray to go on if my heads take a dump. Sorry to hear about your car did you having the timing setup right degrees the cam to spec?
                    Cam was degreed and I was starting with ZZP's tune for timing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      2 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X