Loud clunk noise what can it be????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud clunk noise what can it be????

i currently have a 98 firebird v6 with 99,000 miles 5 speed manual tht is making a knockin noise under the car in the middle of the car under the passanger rear.
    this all started because of a burnout tht went bad as i was burning out i hit a pot hole and made my car bounce really hard!!!!! after tht the knocking noise started, i have checked it all the trans mount which i dont think it is because i would really feel it on the stick shift, checked the exhaust over the axle and all no touch, checked shock struts all nothing make that knocking sound tht is visible the noise only is heard when driving with windows up and feels like it is coming directly from under the pasanger seat also when you go ofer small bumps

what can this be ?

Re: Loud clunk noise what can it be????

sounds like either you busted the trans mount, the exhaust is hitting the DS tunnel brace, or you broke a bump stop off

edit* but you really need to check everything back there, try wiggling the control arms around, and see wat the end links look like

Comment

trans mount

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

is the shift handle bouncing all around

Comment

Originally posted by FastRidesOnly.com View Post
          is the shift handle bouncing all around
          Mine does this, but I don't have any loud knocking...figured either engine or trans mounts...

Comment

you may have broken a stabilizer link and the end of the stabilizer bar is hitting things. check the trailing arms and panhard rod as well, you don't want those to be broken, they probably aren't though.

Comment

the shifter moves up and down defitnatly but it always has its just tht this time around theres a noise coming from the bottom of the car. and i looked under and shock everything possible and nothing is lose ? i dont understand what it could be ? so i think my last option is to just take it to the shop and have them check it out!

Comment

i told you what it was! its probably been partially torn for a while, doing the burnouts probably tore it the rest of the way.

its a 20 minute job and takes all of 4-5 tools to fix.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                Or this

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                  the shifter moves up and down defitnatly but it always has its just tht this time around theres a noise coming from the bottom of the car. and i looked under and shock everything possible and nothing is lose ?
                  You can't tell if the tranny mount is busted by just looking at it with the transmission still sitting on it. You'll have to remove it and physically inspect it

Comment

Once you have the vehicle up and have the jack available you can slowly jack up the tranny, little by little and look to see if the mount separates.
                    sigpic
                    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

or just stick a pry bar in between the tranny and crossmember and try to lift up.

Follow me!
                      Or this

Comment

i did a burn out and it broke my trans mount. i quit doing them.

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                          i told you what it was! its probably been partially torn for a while, doing the burnouts probably tore it the rest of the way.

its a 20 minute job and takes all of 4-5 tools to fix.
                          exactly, the 5 speed transmissions have "hydraulic" mounts which is the dumbest thing ever, they can break and you wont know it until the thing actually tears into two pieces, then it will start making clunking noises

doing a burnout can snap them so easily

i have been through 3 mounts so far

Comment

thanks guys for all the help im definatly gunna take a look at tht not and also i went to the auto store (lees auto store) and they said they have a hydraulic mount and a solid mount is it better to get the solid or do i specifically need the hydraulic mount?

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                              thanks guys for all the help im definatly gunna take a look at tht not and also i went to the auto store (lees auto store) and they said they have a hydraulic mount and a solid mount is it better to get the solid or do i specifically need the hydraulic mount?
                              you dont need the hydraulic mount, but in most cases the solid mount (which i think they are talking about the auto mount) will require a little fabrication to fit it in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X