Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do need to change head gasket?

Hi,

I noticed that coolant is missing and couldn't find any visible leaks. Also I can see white smoke/fumes, so apparently there is some coolant getting into cylinders. I also saw some foam on the oil cap, but it also migth be due to condensation when driving in winter. So I made a compression check in the cylinders. I did it with throttle open, but with cold engine (I don't know how it should be done on hot engine without burning hands). I got the following results:
    1 cylinder: 188psi
    2 cylinder: 176psi
    3 cylinder: 175psi
    4 cylinder: 172psi
    5 cylinder: 187psi
    6 cylinder: 175psi

The difference between highest and lowest value was less then 10%. So my assumption is that the head gaskets are ok and the problem is with lower/upper intake manifolds, am I right?

If the problem is with intake manifold gasket, how hard is to remove them, are there any special tools needed or something to be aware of? Thank's in advance for your comments!

Re: Do need to change head gasket?

those numbers look pretty good, i would say its not the headgasket

as for the intake manifold gaskets, i have no idea

Comment

seeing those numbers makes me think that its the intake gasket thats leaking. a grand am (with the 3.4 in it) that i worked on had the same problem. compression #'s looked about the same as yours, give or take a few psi. but i replaced the intake gasket and it stopped leaking. just some food for thought:stp:

Comment

miles? recent internal work?

Comment

what does it mean when you get golden yellow foam in the oil cap? I also have this problem happening. worries the crap outta me
          Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

i have always thought its just normal...as long as the oil on the dipstick looks good, i wouldnt worry about it.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadyFirebird'00 View Post
              what does it mean when you get golden yellow foam in the oil cap? I also have this problem happening. worries the crap outta me
              it means your oil is breaking down because it's mixing with water.

Comment

Some additional info: my car is 2001 with 90k miles, to my knowledge no internal works were done on the engine.

Comment

Ok, at the moment I have already removed upper and lower intakes and valve covers. The gasket of the upper intake was leaking coolant into cylinders. And on valve covers and lower intake I found this yellow mixture of coolant and oil. So the coolant was leaking to oil through bad lower intake gasket?

Comment

it appears so

Comment

Originally posted by Linas View Post
                      Ok, at the moment I have already removed upper and lower intakes and valve covers. The gasket of the upper intake was leaking coolant into cylinders. And on valve covers and lower intake I found this yellow mixture of coolant and oil. So the coolant was leaking to oil through bad lower intake gasket?
                      Linas, I'm not telling you that..."you" have to...but it would prolly be best that you replace all your gaskets since your already so far into the disassemble. It'd be good for your car and it's only $200 for a gasket set. All you got left is remove rockers, springs, lifters, rods (prolly missing some ****) couple bolts and the heads are off. You will need to remove the exhaust manifolds as well. Your gaskets will be about $10-50 though...

Comment

if the compression checks out, there is no reason to pull the heads...if you pull the rockers off you need new rocker bolts. if you pull the heads you need new head bolts, head gaskets are $50 a piece. alot more work than you need, if it aint broke dont fix it.
                        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X