Takes long to start - Did FP Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takes long to start - Did FP Test

Alright, ever since I got my car, it took about 5 seconds to start when it has been sitting for a little bit. The people I bought it from thought it was injectors.

After it has been started, and you go into the store for 5 minutes, it will start instantly.

When it takes forever to start, it smells like gas a bit. (SMALL buff of black smoke tailpipe - can't notice unless your behind the car)

I slapped a fuel-pressure guage on the schrader Valve.
    Turn key to on position, do not start
    </font>
    • 50 PSI When Priming</font>
    • Dropped to 45 after the prime</font>
    • Dropped to 40psi after 1 minute</font>
    • Dropped to 35psi after 2 minutes</font>

Start car, idle the engine
    </font>
    • Stayed at 42psi at idle without fluctuation</font>
    • Fuel pressure goes up when quick-revved</font>

It also does not matter how many times I let the fuel pump prime. It will still take roughly 5 seconds to start.

Fuel pump was replaced when GM replaced the fuel tank (neck was broken - thats what it says on the reciept) I have the reciept for all work.

Replaced the fuel filter like 7,000km ago. (didnt help)

Injector cleaner dont help.

What do you guys think? Fuel injectors or Fuel PRessure Regulator?

[ April 27, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Iwantafbodyagain ]
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro<br />5 Speed STD 3.8L V6<br />Mods: !cat, Cherry Bomb Super Turbo muffler<br />15.9@86mph 2.353 60\'@1600ft<br />400,000km

When I start my car, I can literally just flick the key and it will fire right up, even if it has been sitting for 3 weeks.

Your fuel press #'s are right on. That is how mine were in stock config.

Perhaps you arent getting spark to the cylinder right away. That would cause the fuel smell.

If the plugs were firing, and you were getting too much fuel, black smoke would come from the exhaust.

Thats my two cents. If it isn't really adversely affecting anything, I wouldn't worry about it. Every car has its own personality.
    1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

Ic... but I plan on selling my car soon, because of the mileage, don't know how many people would buy a car that takes 5 sec to start.

Recently Replaced Parts(within 10,000km)
      </font>
      • Spark plugs (NGK's)</font>
      • PCV Valve</font>
      • Plug wires (Accel 8mm's)</font>
      • Fuel filter</font>

Also by looking through reciepts
      Odometer: 370,000km and its at 387,000 now
      CUSTOMER COMPLAIN FUEL GAUGE WONT PAST 1/4 TANK
      CUSTOMER COMPLAINT FUEL GAGE FILLER SPOUT DROPPED DOWN
      </font>
      • Fuel tank repair/replace $474.50 C</font>
      • GM 12555869 GASKET-EGR $10.36 C</font>
      • GM 10164142 CAP ASM-F $13.35 C</font>
      • NP USED FUEL TANK $300.00 C</font>
      • NP Clamp $1.95 C</font>
      • GM 25164520 MODULE $627.25</font>
      • Total: $1500 C (before I got the car)</font>
      I'm assuming GM 25164520 MODULE $627.25 is the pump?
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro<br />5 Speed STD 3.8L V6<br />Mods: !cat, Cherry Bomb Super Turbo muffler<br />15.9@86mph 2.353 60\'@1600ft<br />400,000km

Comment

Almost forgot, The car runs rough for the first 10 seconds after it is started. Quick 2k revs make the car feel like it is going to stall until it starts running rine.

Comment

I would put money on the regulator. If it still gets decent mileage and doesn't have any other noticable issues while running, that would be my best guess. I had the same problem and the regulator was the culprit. It is about $50 at NAPA, and prepare yourself for a fun-filled day of cursing your engine to replace it.
          1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking the regulator too. Because it says in my haynes manual that the fuel pressure should hold after primed. And I have read some other peoples posts of whomes problems look simular. Why did it take so long for you to change it? Is it located right at the back under the lip? Passenger or driver side?
            thx

Comment

I didn't do it, for the simple fact that I did not feel the drive to piss with it for hours when I have a mechanic that would do it for $30. It took him several hours and a lot of aggrevation. I believe it is on the driver side fuel rail, near the firewall. You will have to pull the rail unless you can find a loophole that no one else has to get to the regulator with the rail still installed. Count on four hours of messing with it. It certainly is a relief once it is replaced, though!
              1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

Yeah I removed the fuel rail, along with the upper and lower intake, valve covers, rockers, etc etc to replace valve lifters.

Should be much quicker this time around.

Comment

I have had the exact same propblem down to the puff of smoke. Please keep us informed as to what you find the problem to be....
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: \"WOW!!!!, what a ride!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X