shift hard=car boggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift hard=car boggs

I have a 98 Camaro 3.8 M5. When I shift extremely hard into 2nd and sometimes 3rd the car loses power and almost stalls. It doesnt matter if I have a full or not so full tank of gas. I run 93 octane (Shell mostly). Ive had this problem since I bought the car.

I can shift less aggressively but thats not what I want while racing. I have no choice though. I shift accurately but from the stands it looks like I missed the gear. When I shift its like the front brakes tighten. I do NOT have traction control. I have had the car tuned with HP tuners and the problem wasnt found then.

If you have had this problem or have an idea of what it is Please let me know.

1. Could this be the clutch?
    2. Could this be a problem with gearing not meshing well?

Re: shift hard=car boggs

The car has 160,000 miles on it now.

Comment

what rpm are you shifting at?

is your clutch slipping??

no, i doubt it is a problem with gearing unless you are hearing a grinding noise

are you trying to powershift, or are you taking your foot off of the gas?

Comment

It happens at any rpm. Ive tried low/high and no matter when I shift hard it does this. Im not sure if its the clutch. I have to let off o the gas completely and then get back into it. When I shift hard and give it 20% throttle in will bogg all the way down the street at 10 mph. Why do you ask about powershifting? I do both and it happens. You think its a fuel problem?

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3504me View Post
          It happens at any rpm. Ive tried low/high and no matter when I shift hard it does this. Im not sure if its the clutch. I have to let off o the gas completely and then get back into it. When I shift hard and give it 20% throttle in will bogg all the way down the street at 10 mph. Why do you ask about powershifting? I do both and it happens. You think its a fuel problem?
          well, if the car boggs, it means your clutch should be fine

but for the hell on it, take a drive, go about 25mph, stick it in 4th or 5th gear and floor it, and see if your rpm's move your car should shake a little, and bog down

next, what are all of your mods?

i mentioned powershifting, because if you shift too slow your rpm's will skyrocket, and fall causing it to bog down a bit

it almost sounds like you are shifting at too low of an rpm

the few times i do powershift, i will shift around 4500 and i dont get any bogs at all

Comment

Ill try the 1st to 4th. Got to get some gears first. Well it was doin this when it was stock. Before it was rear ended (fixing it now) it had functional SS hood, posi 3.73, Volant CAI, Pacesetter headers, Flowmasters with gutted cat, And was HP tuned tuned by Frost (Leading f body tuner in VA)

I let a few old heads try it out and one guy still had the racing burnin in his blood hahaha. It did the same thing to him. He thought it was a fuel problem until he did it. He now thinks it may be timing. I Tried it out while getting it tuned and nothing showed up on Hp tuner diaghrams.

Comment

Ill try the 1st to 4th. Got to get some gears first. Well it was doin this when it was stock. Before it was rear ended (fixing it now) it had functional SS hood, posi 3.73, Volant CAI, Pacesetter headers, Flowmasters with gutted cat, And was HP tuned tuned by Frost (Leading f body tuner in VA)

I let a few old heads try it out and one guy still had the racing burnin in his blood hahaha. It did the same thing to him. He thought it was a fuel problem until he did it. He now thinks it may be timing. I Tried it out while getting it tuned and nothing showed up on Hp tuner diaghrams.
              try replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter

im thinking that when you are shifting fast enough your car cant compensate fast enough for the difference in fuel pressure and is either loading the engine up with fuel, or running it lean

thats about the only thing i can think of at this moment

Comment

even after the shift? It still bogs until I let off completely. I have replaced the filter gonna look for a good FPR now.

Comment

ok, i tried some powershifting, and three things happened

i did a 2nd to 3rd powershift going up a slight hill, i must have changed gears too soon, because i could have went back to 2nd again after the shift

next, i shifted fast while letting off of the throttle, now sure which gears, but i noticed that i had a sort of dead spot because by the time i was back on the throttle my foot was already off of the clutch pedal, but the slave still hadnt fully engaged, and i let off of the throttle a bit and got back on it

and lastly i did a full powershift from 2nd to 3rd and there was no bogging, just straight acceleration

Comment

well if its was an auto I would say plugs and wires..
                    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
                    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

Im having this problem whenever I power shift. The amount of gas in the tank has no effect, rain or shine, inclined/declined/flat terrain, let of gas or hold it to the floor....

Ive tried everything. Its something with the car. I will try the fuel pressure reg.

When you say you had the dead spot that kind of like what Im feeling but it continously wants to die instead of catching up and excelerating. I have to let of of the gas completely and some times its faster to shift again.

Comment

any one in VA that would like to drive my car and see what you think?

Comment

Thanks cam98aro for the help. I havent replaced the FPR yet. Im looking for some gears first.

Comment

I know this is old but I have found the problem and it can be tuned out.

Its called CAGS and it is an ABUSE mode. If yo havent felt it in your m6 or m5, shift harder and faster

Comment

I know this is old but I have found the problem and it can be tuned out.

Its called CAGS and it is an ABUSE mode. If yo havent felt it in your m6 or m5, shift harder and faster
                              CAGS, or otherwise known as skip shift is only found in the ls1 cars with a t56, there are solenoids that lock you out of gear, i believe you have to shift from 1st to 4th. the v6 never got this because it barely has enough power to go from 1st gear into 4th

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X