X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Help Me Fix My Car!

Edit: Original Message Replaced With New Relevant Updated Info -

Updated May 3rd, 2004:
    The story: I though my head gasket was going. My exhaust sometimes would smoke white smoke. My exhaust was also louder than it should be, making me think my cat was bad. I ran a compression test. Everything looked good. I noticed the throttle body gasket was leaking a little, and said what the heck and replaced it and cleaned the intake. It the process the MAF got wet. My MAF was messed up to begin with if anyone remembers, half of it was missing, and I didnt trim it, but anyway. Without the new MAF, the car would start up (sometimes take a little longer than usual) and when you drive but it lurches, not violently, but still extremly noticible and undrivable. It pulsates if you will. I had a reduced engine power light. I replaced MAF and the reduced engine power light when out, but the car still wouldnt run right. Today I was going to take it in to scan the code, but the SES light was off. The exhaust smell is pretty nausiating(SP?). The problem is still there. Again, it starts up either fine, or takes a little longer, it then might sputter a little or idle decent. When you drive or rev it doesnt get the rpms up smoothly. It lurches, putters, pulsates, or whatever you call it. I am running out of options, I dont know what to do. I dont have any money and I need a car. What could cause this? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time,
    John

[ May 03, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: 2KThunder ]

Mine did the same thing - its the plug wires - the horrible throttle responce is the safe mode of the engine running on reduced power. Buy new plug wires!
    1999 Camaro Hugger Orange 3800 A4 <p>Mods-SLP SS exhaust, K&N, SLP STB, SLP SFCS, 1LE Sway Bars(32/19), 99 C5 Wheels on 255/45ZR17\'s-17\'s on all corners...Non-Y87

Comment

the plug wires are new. I had a similar problem that that corrected. this is a lot worse. I think I might know what it is though. The MAF? if I start the car without the MAF in, the light still comes on, but the car runs A LITTLE smoother. When you plug it in the lope slows down a bit. Anyone? Thanks Hugger for responding. I coulda used that post when I was fixing the plug wires, but I didnt post on this board. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

More info:

I have purchased a new MAF, I think thats the problem, and if not, the other one was kinda messed up anyway. But I ran a compression test. The results where fine. While I was at it I cleaned the throttle body, removing it from the car. I think the cleaner got on the MAF. But I replaced the Throttle body, the plugs, and started the car up. It stumbles and dies the first time. Then it fires up and sounds healthy, but then starts to sputter like its cammed. All the while the reduced engine power and SES lights are on. I have unplugged the battery for like 30 minutes and retried multiple times. The car starts the same without the MAF plugged in and when you plug it in the engine slows down a bit or cuts off. Thanks for all the replies so far.
        John

Comment

flashing any codes?

getting any clatter from teh valve train?

btw how many miles, I am assuming its a 2000.

Comment

its a 2000 50K miles. I dont have an AutoTap, and cant drive it to AutoZone, but SES is on. Vavlve train sounds fine. IT sounds normal, like it did before, just wont run right.

Comment

TSP TSP TSP

i put 10 bucks on it
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

if you give it a little gas will it run ?
                www.turbov6camaro.com
                1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

It will drive almost fine, but will, lunge and sputter and not go over 10 mph. Whats TSP?

Comment

Originally posted by 2KThunder:
                    its a 2000 50K miles. I dont have an AutoTap, and cant drive it to AutoZone, but SES is on. Vavlve train sounds fine. IT sounds normal, like it did before, just wont run right.
                    Get it to autozone and have them scan it. Or you will just be throwing money at it guessing and checking [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I am just lucky and have a 24 hour autozone so I can stop by at like 3am

Comment

He means TPS. Throttle Position Sensor. It's a $50 part, you can change it yourself. Be sure you have a tamper-proof torx T20 bit, though, as you don't want to get home and find out you can't install your part because of GM's use of tamper proof screws in their infinite wisdom ;)
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

I dont think electric throttle bodies have a position sensor, I know the cable driven bodies do, but dont think the ETA have them. I just checked in the part book and none listed for 98+. Is that right? I have a MAF on order, If anyone remembers, mine was messed up and no one knows how it got that way, I hope that fixes it, if not.... Thanks for your continued input.

Comment

Oh, you have a 99+... Yes, the electronic throttles have a TPS, but this stuff is all built into the throttlebody. If the TPS dies, you need a whole new throttlebody. :|
                          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

anyone local that can swap TBs with you to try it out?

Comment

I think you guys are looking at the wrong end of the throttle control system. It sounds like the problem in in the accelerator position module at the accelerator pedal. This is the thing that inputs the throttle position to the ECM.
                              2002 Camaro Coupe<br />Navy Blue, A4, Y87<br />Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box<br />SLP Bow-Tie Grill, HPP3

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X