sealingf valve covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealingf valve covers?

I did the valve cover gaskets and when I started it up and took it around the block it was smoking alot so I am assuming they didnt seal. they are at a wierd angle. so how do you seal them? any help would be great. thanks.

what yr & engine do you have?
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

sorry, 1996 3.8

Comment

well, mine haven't leaked yet from the engine cranking, but I did make sure all sealing surfaces were clean and that the noodle seal ws seated good in the valve cover before tightening down. yours are tightened down enough, right?
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

yes I am pretty sure but tommorow I will tighten them up and try to see what was going on it is just such a pain to do the cover. but it will be easier because I left the engine lift bracket off.

Comment

You may have just spilled a little oil when you did the change.... if so it should burn off after a few minutes of running.

Comment

Vavle covers can be a major PITA leak if done improperly. You can ensure a leak free seal.

Here is what I have always done in the past with great sucess.

When vavle covers are removed I totally clean the surfaces of both the vavle covers and the heads. I mean spotless. Then I take a rag with alcohol and wipe both surfaces down.

When dry I apply a small bead of Permatex along the valve cover.

I spread this evenly with my finger.

Then I apply the gasket to the vavle cover. (When possible i always choose cork....seems like most people prefer rubber but not me. Cork has nver failed me yet.)

I let this set up for a 5 to 10 minutes.

Next I apply the permatex to the heads. Again don't go overboard just enough so that you can spread it evenly across the surface with your finger.

Then I set the valve covers on the head and tighten the covers down slowly in even steps.

I will let this set for about an hour before firing the engine.

This may or may not be the way vavle covers are done by everyone else but like I said I have yet to ever have vavle covers leak on me yet.

Hope this helps.

Comment

cork, for the 3800 valve covers?........

On the 2.8~3.4 engines I cain see that. Maybe you just looked at my screen name and...but yeah, for conventional valve cover gaskets you have some good advice.
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

yeah thanks for the help. I did them like you said but I didnt use gsket seal I have never had to use it on other engines and I dont like having to take it off. I dont know I hate this car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X