Normal operating temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal operating temp?

Hey i know i could prob find this if i look around but whats the normal operating temp for a 3.8, my gauge goes to about the 1/4 mark is this consistant??

Re: Normal operating temp?

Mine since in AZ, in summer time 210-220(half mark) and in winter 180(1/4 mark), this is with 160 drilled thermo and fans retuned with Hptuners.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I believe normal max is 210 for our cars (1/2 mark); most tune them and swap thermostats to get 180 or so. I had my fans reprogrammed and thermo replaced so that it almost never goes over 185 (1/4 mark).
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Depending on the year, the f-bodies came stock with a 195F degree thermostat. (Up to 98?) After that, they switched to 180's. Regardless clear up to 215-220 wouldn't worry me in the least.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
          Depending on the year, the f-bodies came stock with a 195F degree thermostat. (Up to 98?) After that, they switched to 180's. Regardless clear up to 215-220 wouldn't worry me in the least.
          I tried telling that over on another forum that they switched to 180 after 98 and up and they wouldn't listen even posted part #'s for the years. They were saying the thermos were all 195 and one guy said he even tested one and it opend like at 193.LOL But I don't think I'm like over there , oh well.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Direct them here:
            http://engine.firebirdv6.com/
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
              your quoting something that has ancient material and not all accurate.

195* is stock.
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

When I looked at the 93-02 Caamro/Firbird parts manual they had the part #'s for the 98-02 for a 180 thermo.

Comment

so far it looks like only 2001 came with 180* thermos from the research I have done. I know the 99 firebird of my brothers had a 195 in it though. Alldata shows 2000 cars to have 195 as well. I am going to check another route here in a few.

Majority are going to have 195 though

Comment

here is a snap pic (below) of my parts catalog that I use at my shop. As you can see, I entered a 2001 camaro 3.8l and it shows the 180* as an alternate. Alldata talks about 2001s opening at 180* but that is the only year is says that. The others are 195*

Comment

i have an 01 and it came with a 195
                      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                      1991 3000GT VR4
                      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Part manual shows a 93-97 #24506986 AC Delco # 131-115 and for 98-02 #24505924 AC Delco # 131-120, so they are diferent part #s. Which would mean they would be different thermos most likely. I have to get my Dads GMworld account # and look them up. It may just be they changed part #'s , I'll look on GM's website and see what I find out.

Comment

well i have a 195 in there and my gauge never goes above the 1/4 mark ,its actually always a hair below it,its a 97, is this normal??

Comment

Originally posted by LEOMAC23 View Post
                            well i have a 195 in there and my gauge never goes above the 1/4 mark ,its actually always a hair below it,its a 97, is this normal??
                            how about sitting in a traffic jam or sitting idle for some time?

Comment

Well iv never seen a traffic jam where im from,lol,but sitting idle it goes to about half.While driving ,warm or cold,it stays at 1/4.Which on my gauge is 87.5c or 190f.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X