Stuttering/Misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuttering/Misfire

Or I can just stick with the ones that I have; they have a lifetime warranty so I can change them out again if need be (that's how I'm doing it now, not paying a dime :)) and they've already been ordered :P. I would LOVE some Taylors, but I currently have $7 to my name and a nearly empty tank of gas.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
      Or I can just stick with the ones that I have; they have a lifetime warranty so I can change them out again if need be (that's how I'm doing it now, not paying a dime :)) and they've already been ordered :P. I would LOVE some Taylors, but I currently have $7 to my name and a nearly empty tank of gas.
      well, hopefully you get a good set

spark plug wires are something you dont want to skimp on, cheap ones with high resistance can and will ruin your coil packs

Comment

It is amazing if you check the resistance on an economy set versus a performance set, the amount of difference there is. Its also amazing that the plugs ever fire with the economy wires:)

Comment

Originally posted by poncho1961 View Post
          It is amazing if you check the resistance on an economy set versus a performance set, the amount of difference there is. Its also amazing that the plugs ever fire with the economy wires:)
          Any idea of the average resistance of each? I've got mine sitting out in the car, swapping them tomorrow morning; just for giggles I'll throw a meter on them and check their resistance.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
            If I keep the throttle under 25% it's fine; I can hold it just under the point it begins to buck and it'll hit the limiter no problem. But, if I go past that spot it begins to stutter pretty bad. If I gradually push into it it won't do it nearly as bad, but it still stutters. Also, noticed a burnt like smell after I made it do it a lot today....Leading me more and more towards wires. Hoping to pick up a set tomorrow.
            i had the same problem with mine, turns out that when ever it rain alot water would get on the alternator and coils or if you washed the car and this happens, but the more you drive it as the engine gets hotter it dries out and comes back 100%.at least mine did:banana:

Comment

all i know radracer is that the stock/repalcement wires are pathetic examples of any kind of spark plug wires.

but free is free i suppose.

Comment

It was indeed plugs. I measured the resistance of each wire, new and old: let me know what you guys think.

Cyl O N
                1 7.63K 15.40K
                2 7.56K 15.32K
                3 6.63K 14.55K
                4* --- 15.08K
                5 5.49K 11.15K
                6**8.80K 27.00K

*Cylinder 4's old wire I couldn't get any reading from. I'm guessing that was my problem. I looked inside and the terminal doesn't look bad so I'm guessing there's a break somewhere in the wire.

**The new resistance of cylinder 6's wire is way up there, even for being the longest wire. Anyone else find that weird?

Another thing, I'm no Electrical Engineer (at least not yet), but I could have sworn that wire resistance increase as it ages. Why am I getting even lower readings with my old wires compared to my new ones?

Even so, with the new wires and plugs in, car's running better then ever :). Threw it sideways on accident today :P
                Last edited by RadRacer; 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM.
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Comment

It does increase with age. But they're too different wires. One could be clad in aluminum for all we know.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X