GM's $45 scan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's $45 scan??

Hey i talked to a guy a the gm dealership and he said he would be able to scan my car to see if there is anything advancing the timing causeing my rattle under load,just wondering if its worth $45 cad and will he be able to see very much on a 97 firebird,like check the timing and knock sensors and injectors??

Re: GM's $45 scan??

Depending on the scanner he uses, OBD II gives alot of info. I'm not sure if they go into the injector detail, but defineatley the timing, any pending codes, O2 readouts, throttle position, lots of info. I'm not sure what Autozone has, but I know they will scan your car for free if your having problems. The dealership should have better scanners than AZ tho. The better ones will allow it to gather the data while driving the vehicle. Lots of good info if you know how to decipher it all.

Comment

Originally posted by poncho1961 View Post
      Depending on the scanner he uses, OBD II gives alot of info. I'm not sure if they go into the injector detail, but defineatley the timing, any pending codes, O2 readouts, throttle position, lots of info. I'm not sure what Autozone has, but I know they will scan your car for free if your having problems. The dealership should have better scanners than AZ tho. The better ones will allow it to gather the data while driving the vehicle. Lots of good info if you know how to decipher it all.
      yah what he said. the ones at az dont do anything but tell u the code if one is being thrown. i dont know about other states but a law that CA passed doesnt allow autozone to scan cars anymore u have to buy the scanner.

Comment

I thought obd2 just told if codes were being thrown? i need to know if something is advancing the timing that isnt causeing a code to be thrown? im gonna see if they can see anything i guess ,cause i had enough of this rattleing /pinging and no one seems to know what is causeing it.thanks for the help!!

Comment

$45...we charge $82, but that is an hours labor to tell you what is worng not just what the code is. GM dealers use a scanner called a tech 2. it can do all sorts of stuff. It can read codes in all areas of the car such as bcm and pcm and tcm it can also command everything off and on it also shows map sensor readings maf readings and injector stuff. it is a pretty hi tech peice of equipment that no dealer can live with out. i can do all this stuff on my 96 so i know you can do it on your 97.
          96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

thanks david8399 im gonna go get it done tommorrow!!

Comment

Is the rattle/ping effecting your cars performance in anyway?

Comment

not that i can tell ,the car does seem a bit sluggish but its done this since i got it so i cant really judge.

Comment

The OBDII scanners can tell you which cyl. are misfireing the most and alot of other stuff, so if you have the $45 it couldn't hurt to have them check it out. Have you fixed your exhaust leaks? I would fix what you know is bad first then have it scanned if it is still having problems.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Im not fully sure i have an exhaust leak, thats what i thought this rattle was but my mechanic checked it out and could not see any soot around the manifolds and said everything looked tight,so he and i are thinking pinging,what do u think??

Comment

I haven't seen your car , so I can't tell you anything, you can't just look at it and say there is no exhaust leak. When cool start the car and moved your hands around the egr, exhaust manifolds to feel for leaks. Might have to do it a couple of times since the car will heat up fast and there is no reason to get yourself burned when you can shut the car off and let it cool down and start again.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I already felt for exhaust leaks before taking it in to get looked,never felt anything.

Comment

The TECH2 scanner is probably what they'll use. They can do a WHOLE lot more than read codes. If you really are going to make use of it, $45 is a bargain. If you just want codes read, then you're getting ripped. AutoZone will do it for free and give you a print out.
                          Red 96' A4 Firebird
                          Audio Audio and Autotek
                          Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by LEOMAC23 View Post
                            Hey i talked to a guy a the gm dealership and he said he would be able to scan my car to see if there is anything advancing the timing causeing my rattle under load,just wondering if its worth $45 cad and will he be able to see very much on a 97 firebird,like check the timing and knock sensors and injectors??
                            more than likely they are using something like a genesys computer, and if you go to your local firestone ( i used to work at one) they will charge 69.95. 45 is cheap
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by david8399 View Post
                              $45...we charge $82, but that is an hours labor to tell you what is worng not just what the code is. GM dealers use a scanner called a tech 2. it can do all sorts of stuff. It can read codes in all areas of the car such as bcm and pcm and tcm it can also command everything off and on it also shows map sensor readings maf readings and injector stuff. it is a pretty hi tech peice of equipment that no dealer can live with out. i can do all this stuff on my 96 so i know you can do it on your 97.
                              Yeah here it's $80 for a scan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X