Overheating??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating??

i dont know if this goes here but as of today my car started over heating. Its really cold outside like 46-50 degrees F. The radiator fan is running so other than that im lost. It wasnt just overheating by a little but the temp went up all the way in a matter of 5-10 min of drivng. Help!!!

Re: Overheating??

could it be it needs an oil change?

Comment

check your coolant fluid level.

other than that you could have a stuck thermostat or worse you've got an intake gasket leak or head gasket (check your oil for the milkshake )

Comment

****in ****

Comment

yea my first though was the thermostat was stuck

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
            ****in ****
            don't freak out, check your coolant level and check for milkshake oil, then let us know whats what.

Comment

Yeah its definitely either your coolant is low, your thermostat is messed up, or your coolant isn't flowing. Feel the hose where the coolant is flowing. If the hose has a different temperature in different areas of it. It means it isn't flowing.

Comment

coolant was a little low, added some, problem is still their......i checked the oil with the dipstick and its fine too....the radiator hose going to the thermostat is hot but makes a thump every 3 seconds and shakes a little, normal? oh my coolant has become a brown mush, could that be clogging it and not letting the coolant circulate? any way to check for those gasket leaks you mentioned? sorry for this being so long but she's my DD and i dont want to drive it like this

Comment

i think im going to flush it out and add new coolant later then check, if not im going to replace the thermostat.

Comment

Are you using Dexacool or are you using green antifrezze?, brownish color would be a sign of oil in coolant. But if it is dexacool, I think that sh!t always looks nasty. Thermo would be a good place to start. How high did it go up to? Was it in the red on the dash?
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i do use dexcool and yes it went ALL the way up, even when i came home it was in the middle, popped the hood while it was on for like 5 min and went back and it was all the way up on the red, at idle btw

Comment

I would think that an immediate, sudden overheating problem would be a stuck thermostat. That would be the first thing to check.
                        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

i am forever grateful to you guyz, thanks it was the coolant, i put some in but nothing i guess it was a little clogged and became unclogged with the new coolant and now shes all better. She stays right under 210 :) bought the thermostat just in case. Thanks guys if things start up again ill be back.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                            I would think that an immediate, sudden overheating problem would be a stuck thermostat. That would be the first thing to check.
                            ^ I agree , plus I would get rid of that dexacool , just empty the radiator when you swap your thermo, and start using 50/50 anitfrezze(green stuff) that is safe for all types of antifrezze. Start using that and flush it out of the bottom of the radiator about 3 times to get the dexacool out.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

have a picture of that antifreeze you guys recommend? whats so bad about dexcool, that brown mush it leaves?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X