question regarding steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question regarding steering wheel

i have the regular steering wheel no air bag.

I was wondering is it possible to install the steering wheels that have the radio controls? or is there a way to convert mine to the other one?

could someone clear this up for me such as the wiring and all that?

thanks
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: question regarding steering wheel

You would have to rewire it most definitely - i take it you have like a 94 or 95?
    Leonard
    www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
    sigpic

Comment

i am pretty sure the after market provides the modules and stuff to keep your factory steering wheel controls with aftermarket radios, so i would imagine you could use the same modules and stuff to make factory radio controls work with an after market radio. what year is your car, gotta be a thrid gen to not have an airbag?
      96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

hah its a 98 3.8 lol i purchased the car without the airbag. car was only a grand so im not complaining. is there a way to wire the wheels with the radio controls like the ones on the ss model to mine? i dont want an aftermarket want i want to keep the camaro look.

thanks
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

I would look at a 93-02 parts manual to see what you need for the controls and also the part #'s. Also will give you a diagram for how to wire it in.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i have an airbag delete for the black interior if ytou wanna buy it let me know so you don't have a huge hole in your wheel
            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
            1991 3000GT VR4
            2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
              hah its a 98 3.8 lol i purchased the car without the airbag. car was only a grand so im not complaining. is there a way to wire the wheels with the radio controls like the ones on the ss model to mine? i dont want an aftermarket want i want to keep the camaro look.

thanks
              i wasnt saying use an aftermarket steering wheel. when you buy and install an aftermarket radio on some models you have to buy modules to make the radio controls on the steering wheel work work. in theroy if you buy a steering wheel with radio controls then you should be able to buy the models to make it work. probally not gonna be able to make it work with a factory radio unless you get the harness and radio from the same or equally equiped car
              96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

Think he was saying he didnt want an aftermarket radio. It should be wired in already. you'll find power seat clips in camaros without power seats, install power seats and plug it in type deal. if you can find someone to take a photo with their air bag out that has the controls it might be as simple as plugging in the wires. I would get what your looking for, and see what you can do from there, deff get a factory manual. it'll have the wire diagram that you need and you'll be able to go from there. you may also ask around here to see if anyone can scan it and post it up for ya.

Archer
                MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
                http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

mmmm let me clarify a little:

I have the camaro steering wheel right with no airbag and no vrgasm i have the black covering for it. it was cut at the top to remove the deployed airbag but then sealed back up so it looks neat lol.

I have an aftermarket radio a pioneer head unit. it has a remote control that comes with it from my understanding you can wire the controls into the steering wheel with the radio control. saw it on google somewhere i'll post the link later.

i wasn't sure if i needed the stock radio for the controls to work or i could wire the controls through my remote?

Has anyone upgraded from a no radio control wheel to one with radio controls?

is there a parts manual available to view on line?

any more info before i start this?

thanks
                  1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                  1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

this may help

Comment

thanks david i was looking for this!

I'm going to try this this weekend
                      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

Responding to this older thread per the OP's request.

I'm not 100% on all the info, seeing as I've done some of the research, but don't have all the parts yet. I also haven't pulled off the lower panels of the dash to look at wiring yet. To switch to a functioning steering wheel with radio controls, you're going to need the appropriate steering wheel, air bag, and the clockspring (SIR coil) from a similar-year car that came equipped with radio controls. I solely looked at parts and info from the LS1 body style (98+), so this may differ slightly for older body styles.

Here is my original thread on the other forum:

Swapping to 2000 Steering Wheel

Here is a similar thread that I posted some of the info I found. There are some good links with pictures and more detailed info.

Q's on Connecting Aftermarket HU

There is a seller on ebay that has a number of complete steering columns with SIR coils for the late model F-bodies, called Cleveland Pick-A-Part. You might be able to request an older steering column with appropriate SIR coil from them. They have a large collection of F-body parts and are a sponsor on some other sites. I'm currently looking to see if it's possible to just switch out some of the important personal parts on my current steering column (BCM, key cylinder, etc) and swapping it with a column that already has the SIR coil with radio control harness.

Oh, and to make the radio controls on the steering wheel operate with an aftermarket head unit, you'll need an interface such as Pac Swi X or another model.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Do these interface modules only work for certain radios, or headunits? How adaptable are they...
                          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X