PCV Vavle testing and O-ring question - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCV Vavle testing and O-ring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV Vavle testing and O-ring question

I took out my PCV valve to check it and although it still rattles I am going to replace it anyway because I'm pretty sure it's never been done before. Aside from the "shake the valve and listen for the rattle test" I want to check the vacuum to make sure the rest of the system is ok. My Chilton manual is not very good at describing the process, I think it was only written up for the 3.4 and 5.7 and not necessarily the 3.8.
    The manul says:
    1. Remove the PCV valve
    2. Run the engine at idle
    3. Place your thumb over the end of the PCV valve. Check for vacuum. If there is no vacuum at the valve check for plugged valve or vacuum lines.

Well first I am assuming that I start the engine before removing the PCV valve, I don't think the engine would start with the PCV valve removed. But not only that, if you remove the PCV valve then how are you supposed to check it for vacuum... it's not connected to anything. Can I just remove the PCV valve cover while the engine is running and then stick my finger in there to feel the top of the valve for vacuum??

For the O-ring:
    I don't remember seeing the O-ring when I looked at my valve. Where is the O-ring supposed to be?
    1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Re: PCV Vavle testing and O-ring question

just FYI, a new pcv valve is about 4 dollars from autozone. maybe 5.

Comment

yea I know, I am going to replace it, I just want to check the system for vacuum after I replace the PCV valve because I am developing an oil leak around my intake manifold so I want to make sure the entire system is working properly.
      1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

"o" ring is right under the metal piece you take off.

your thinking too much about this. you just have to shake it. or put your hand or the hole. nbd. replace it if your worried
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

****....is it necessary to put that o ring back? I saw it but didnt know where it went....

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X