too much thrust on the crank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much thrust on the crank!

I got my engine rebuilt by a company in Dallas, TX and when I got it back into my car it worked for about a week and then crapped out. First the oil pressure was completely gone and then it started clicking, Next thing I know it completely stops working all together. I took it back out and took it up to them, they said that something was putting too much thrust on the crank. They also said that it messed up some stuff in the engine so they aren't going to honor their warranty because they said that it was something that I did. Any help as to why there would be too much pressure on the crank would be awesome!

Re: too much thrust on the crank!

Sounds like they installed the main bearings wrong or even more, and it took out your engine. I would tell them they need to warranty their mistakes.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Make them fix it.
      '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
      '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
      '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

keep going up the ladder till you reach the top. keep your story straight and don't give up. you can tell them that your going to get your lawers invoild
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

the only thing you could have done wrong was not put enough oil on it, or beat on it before it broke in.. or reving it up too high.. they should be responsible for repairing everything, not just their stuff IMO

Comment

Originally posted by dknechtlyV6 View Post
            I got my engine rebuilt by a company in Dallas, TX and when I got it back into my car it worked for about a week and then crapped out. First the oil pressure was completely gone and then it started clicking, Next thing I know it completely stops working all together. I took it back out and took it up to them, they said that something was putting too much thrust on the crank. They also said that it messed up some stuff in the engine so they aren't going to honor their warranty because they said that it was something that I did. Any help as to why there would be too much pressure on the crank would be awesome!
            Maybe be a dumb question but it doesnt seem like anyone has asked.... if the first thing to go wrong with it was it losing oil pressure completely, then why did you continue to drive it?

Comment

But on a more serious matter... you need to get them to fix it.

Ask them if they torque the main caps down to the right spec. If you get an "uh huh" make sure you go at with a "well how much torque do they require" and make sure you know the answer.

Also see if they recorded the clearances between the main bearings and the crank. If they rebuilt the motor and used your old bearings, its possible it could have caused the crank to float too much. Ask them if they even measured/recorded the float. Should only be between: .005-.010". Too much float will cause you to lose oil pressure around the main bearings which could possibly lead to lower volume of oil to the top of the motor causing many other problems. This could cause the motor to not get enough oil to the cylinder wall, letting the fresh rings run a little dry. This would cause galling on the cylinder wall which would put a lot of stress on the crank which would then in turn exponentiate on the original problem. Viscious cycle until the motor goes boom.

All-in-all, if they built your motor and it didnt last a week and dont want to warranty it; I would be seeing what Judge Judy has to say :cool:
              Last edited by Frechles71; 10-02-2008, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frechles71 View Post
                if they built your motor and it didnt last a week and dont want to warranty it; I would be seeing what Judge Judy has to say :cool:
                Exactly. It was a freakin week. Not a year. I really wouldn't waste any time. Take them to small claims court. Loser pays winners court costs, so don't worry about that. Have every shred of evidence with you at that time. If she asks for a written statement from an expert you talked to, there is no "uh I can get it for you." If it's not there, it doesn't exist.
                Red 96' A4 Firebird
                Audio Audio and Autotek
                Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X