sail panel, take off???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sail panel, take off???

I have been reading, searching, google, and GM's info..

there is a write up on LS1tech's site on how to replace it yourself, but Im not looking to go out an purchase a new panel for $500+ for a panel when I have a perfectly good panel on my donor.

The instructions say use the 'Wire Method'.

This is what I have done..

Got a couple dowel rods, drilled holes through it, used piano wire. However I believe this wire is too thick to cut the adhesive. So I went and got picture hanging wire, not reading the package that its only good up to 5 lbs. and its the thinnest wire I can find that may cut through the adhesive.

Anyone have an idea on what I could use thats thin enough to cut it, but strong enough not to break..

Thanks,
    Archer, C.
    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Re: sail panel, take off???

ive helped do two t-top conversions and piano wire worked both times.

try heating it up if you have any issues.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

thanks, what size wire? I had a thick one to begin with. How strong are the smaller ones?

Archer

Comment

strong anough i guess. i didnt supply the wire, and it was actually the same wire both times so i would think they're prety strong.

the glue is thick,and wide, it sucks.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

but it is piano wire that you used right? I went out and got the .025 wire today.. I used a pocket saw at first but that didnt get anywhere besides cutting up my hand... You say heat it, just dont heat it up where its red right? just warm enough to melt the rubber.. man I hope this works good, or I'll have to sell the SS hood, or the donor frame to get the money for a new sail panel.

Archer

Comment

i know it was piano wire, cant tell you a guage but it was thin and i never thought it was strong anough untill we got going.

getting the old one off was easy, we didnt really try not to mess it up, cracked it a few spots. the hard part was being careful getting the other one off.

Comment

lol, yeah I tried to get the old one off nice and slow till it pissed me off and I ripped the hell out of it. then it sliced up my palm pretty good.. I didnt get the thinnest one, but I'll take it slow and take my time. did you just slap the wire in there and start pulling? or did you try to focus it by the panel or near the frame of the car? I started pulling and it went under the glue, then found its way up by the fiberglass.. I guess the tricky part will be when I get up top on the newer one where the fiberglass folds over the frame.. How hard did you have to pull? would you recommend doing it when the top it hot? or does it really matter?

Thanks for helping, im going to blow up your message box. lol

Archer

Comment

it took us forever, i start on one side and he started on the other side. just go slow, and try to keep it down low in the glue. wear gloves, it might save your hands.

i know EXACTLY what you mean when you say "it found its way up" we never found out a trick that keep it down low in the glue. we just had to keep restarting kinda.

dont pull too hard, thats how we cracked the old one the first time, not even expecting it. are you doing a t-top conversion?

as far as heat goes, we tryed using a heat gun and noticed no difference. not surpising when you really think about it, the glue is very wide and decently tall and i dont see it getting hot anough with out damaging the paint.

edit : just go slow,take your time and do it little by little.we spent more time doing that than any other part in the conversion.
                Last edited by loser; 09-20-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

already did the conversion.. I ripped the old sail panel off and Im taking the factory stock t top sail panel off my donor and putting it on the 97 Im restoring.. This way It has the factory look. I was trying to find a way to take the whole roof off the 01 donor and graff it on the 97, but it looked like it was going to be more work than some filler.. I tried to get the sail panel straight when I cut it, but couldnt and it looked hacked.. so Im taking the 01 stock t top panel, and putting it on the 97..

Archer

Comment

i dont know if id try using a hacksaw blade. go with the thinner wire and check back in.

Comment

yeah when I get back Im going to have to use something thinner
                      I'll let ya know
                      Archer

Comment

I was looking on ebay and saw there is someone selling the t tops roof with the sail panel attached. Think it would be possible to cut away the metal from the donor roof and get access to the urethene adhesive from under the panel???? instead of trying to cut it away from above? I could chop the roof off, cut the metal away thats not attached to the panel with the glue, and cut the glue out that way..

Think it will work loser?

archer

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                          I was looking on ebay and saw there is someone selling the t tops roof with the sail panel attached. Think it would be possible to cut away the metal from the donor roof and get access to the urethene adhesive from under the panel???? instead of trying to cut it away from above? I could chop the roof off, cut the metal away thats not attached to the panel with the glue, and cut the glue out that way..

Think it will work loser?

archer
                          i dont see why not. it'd make getting it off alot easyer im sure,better angle, sawzall away man.

Comment

I talked to a couple body guys and they said to contact a windshield repair guy to come out and take it off.. figured I'd call about it and find out. before I go hacking away on it. otherwise I have to sell the SS hood.. lol
                            Archer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              3 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X