Lifter Tick remedy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter Tick remedy...

i'm probably gonna wind up puttin' my car down for about a week soon to get all this stuff done. the main thing i'm gonna be doin is head gaskets, and while im in there i'm gonna try and address my ticking lifters. i'm wondering if i'll be able to do it myself. i'll have a buddy helping me, but i'll be doin alot myself too, and i dont have too much experience with engine work. should i save up for a shop to replace my lifters, or will i be fine if i go in prepared?

Re: Lifter Tick remedy...

taking the heads off is harder than replacing the lifters.. they literally just slide out and slide back in

Comment

keep in mind, when replacing worn lifters you need to replace the camshaft at the same time. sounds like your gonna be doing a nice lil top end rebuild. i'm doin one on my 3.4 and if your gonna take the heads off you might as well put a new cam in there cuz like i said you need to do both at the same time. you can get kits from comp with just the cam and lifters for like 200$ but keep in mind you will not want a huge cam otherwise you will need to upgrade the valvetrain.

Comment

Never heard anyone saying if you replace lifters you have to replace the cam. That is new to me.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          Never heard anyone saying if you replace lifters you have to replace the cam. That is new to me.
          errr, pretty sure if ya did one ya had to do the other. or maybe that was just if you replaced the cam.... hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            because its not true.. unless your lifters were bad and somehow messed the cam up

Comment

.... no no no
              Y87 Package
              MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
              Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
              BONE APPROVED!
              VANBIBBER APPROVED!
              KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
              Team Black...TEAM EMO
              sigpic
              Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                errr, pretty sure if ya did one ya had to do the other. or maybe that was just if you replaced the cam.... hmmm.
                You must replace the lifters if you replace the cam. I am not sure the right way to explain it but the lifters learn a spot on the cam. Even if you are not replacing anything in the top end and are jsut pulling the motor to freshen it up, you must keep the lifters lined up with their cam lobe when reinstalled.

I learned this the hard way about 6 yrs ago. Put the lifters back in and paid no attention to which one was where when I took them out. About 4 miles down the road the car started missing. Got it back and didnt have much compression in two holes. Tore it back down and it took out two cam lobes.

I am not sure about just throwing new lifters in if you have a bad lifter. I guess technically speaking if you are going to replace one, then you should replace all the lifters. But I guess I cant see how new lifters are not going to effect the cam. Roller lifters - sure replace them. Hydraulic lifters - ?

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
                  .... no no no
                  care to clear things up eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Frechles71 View Post
                    You must replace the lifters if you replace the cam. I am not sure the right way to explain it but the lifters learn a spot on the cam. Even if you are not replacing anything in the top end and are jsut pulling the motor to freshen it up, you must keep the lifters lined up with their cam lobe when reinstalled.

I learned this the hard way about 6 yrs ago. Put the lifters back in and paid no attention to which one was where when I took them out. About 4 miles down the road the car started missing. Got it back and didnt have much compression in two holes. Tore it back down and it took out two cam lobes.

I am not sure about just throwing new lifters in if you have a bad lifter. I guess technically speaking if you are going to replace one, then you should replace all the lifters. But I guess I cant see how new lifters are not going to effect the cam. Roller lifters - sure replace them. Hydraulic lifters - ?

what do you mean?

there is solid roller, hydraulic roller, and solid flat tappet and hydraulic flat tappet

i thought with roller lifters you didnt need to change the lifters while changing the cam, since there is very minimal wear.. there isnt even a break in period

flat tappet is a total opposite story though

Comment

so the lifters wont be a problem? and Max, where in the world is there a cam and lifter set for $200?? the best i've priced out doin a slight cam and the lifters was like 400

EDIT: ok, now that i know about the lifters, i'll start another thread concerning the cam...thanx guys
                      Last edited by 95astrovan; 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                        what do you mean?

there is solid roller, hydraulic roller, and solid flat tappet and hydraulic flat tappet

i thought with roller lifters you didnt need to change the lifters while changing the cam, since there is very minimal wear.. there isnt even a break in period

flat tappet is a total opposite story though
                        I guess what I meant is not exactly what i said. And you are right

Rollers(solid or hydraulic) produce minimal drag which produces minimal wear. Therefore, they do not have to be changed. However, I would not say that there isnt a break in period. They still have to be broken in and re-adjusted often.

The flat tappets (hydraulic or solid) have a larger point or contact causing a wear pattern in the lifter and mating cam lobe. They do have to be changed for a new cam or kept with their respective lobe during a rebuild.

Hope that cleared up what I said before. If not, then I am done lol

Comment

Originally posted by Frechles71 View Post
                          I guess what I meant is not exactly what i said. And you are right

Rollers(solid or hydraulic) produce minimal drag which produces minimal wear. Therefore, they do not have to be changed. However, I would not say that there isnt a break in period. They still have to be broken in and re-adjusted often.

The flat tappets (hydraulic or solid) have a larger point or contact causing a wear pattern in the lifter and mating cam lobe. They do have to be changed for a new cam or kept with their respective lobe during a rebuild.

Hope that cleared up what I said before. If not, then I am done lol
                          yeah, i ment by break in that you dont have to run the engine at 2000 rpm for 20 min to "break" it in.. but you are correct :)

Comment

check out the comp cam and lifter kit, its the 3rd one down. you can choose from i think 3 cams for the 3.4 to go with the lifters, it's about 200$ :)

http://www.ftpp.net/V6Main.htm

you will have to go to internal engine, then go to camshafts and you will see the page.

Comment

well, it would appear that the 3.8's come stock with roller lifters. that being said, you can do lifters without doing cam.

flat tappets go hand in hand, you must do both.
                              Last edited by Firebirdkid96; 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM.
                              Y87 Package
                              MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                              Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                              BONE APPROVED!
                              VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                              KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                              Team Black...TEAM EMO
                              sigpic
                              Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X