Quick question - tensioner pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question - tensioner pulley

My bearing is getting loud, but the assembly is fine. Is the tensioner pulley reverse threaded? Turning counter clockwise just releases belt tension. Basically, how do I get just the pulley off?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Quick question - tensioner pulley

yes its reverse the take the bolt off and yank it off lol thats how i got mine off as far as i remember i might have cracked it with a rubber mallet
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Yep, just reverse thread and the pulley will come off, make sure you take the belt off first.LOL
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Awesome, I almost went at it, but I thought maybe I shouldn't make things worse. lol.

Thanks guys.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i had this problem 2 weeks ago. its reverse threaded. i got a replacement from autozone for like $13 and it worked great
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

If the tensioner is going bad it will start to make at rattle sound. Mine started going out, with the engine off I could move the pulley up and down with my hand, plus with it idling I could see the pulley bouncing. Just make sure it is just the pulley and not the whole assembly.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What kind of a rattling sound are we talking about?

I just had a noisy pulley, I replaced it today. with the bolt out, it basically fell off. The new one is on and it's much quieter. I do have a mysterious rattling though, so inconsistent I can't find where it's coming from. I stuck a socket extension on the tensioner pully bolt to listen in, but it was shaking about. Not too bad, and there is still plenty of tension to relieve belt tension, but it wasn't completely stationary.

here's a terrible video, turn up the sound and you can hear it in the end. I tried a few times to get it with my camera, but it wouldn't make the noise.

sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I couldn't tell anything on the video, when you let off the gas is that where you here the noise?

Comment

Replace that thing soon or it will lock up on you, destroy your belt, and leave your car on the side of the road. Mine broke on me and I got about 2 minutes down the road with no powersteering,a/c, and the engine was starting to get warm. Managed to pull in and cut if off quick. It was also close to dying from no altenator.
                  You may also wanna look into replacing the idler pulley too if the tensioner is going out. Mine started to make noise about 5k after the tensioner went out.
                  Good luck,let us know how it goes.

Comment

Yeah, I replaced my idler a few months ago, and just replaced the tensioner yesterday.

to ssms, yeah, it makes the noise slightly after I let off, and if you listen careful, it makes the noise throughout the last 4-5 seconds of the video. I had my camera video running for about 5 minutes hoping to catch it but it just wouldn't do it again. I'll keep trying.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

If it is still making noise, grab the pulley when it is off with the belt on and see if you can push it up or down , if it moves then it is probably going bad. Or watch it at idle and see if it is boucing if it is it is bad. My tensioner was bad and I would let off the gas and there would be a rattle sound, also on mine I could push it up somemore taking out the slack and at idle it looked like it was bouncing up and down, not much but enough to notice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                        Low Voltage
                        by Vladimir Gecko
                        I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                        9 hours ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        6 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X